Custom Texture Thread.

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Custom Texture Thread.

Post by Captain J »

Very artistic and smooth graphics. Also it's surprising that they're all HD! I especially love those cords and cables.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

thank you! when it comes to drawing the things, though, the size of the document doesn't matter a whole lot. it is only marginally more difficult to make them larger, and sometimes easier since small details can simply be drawn in without needing to figure out an optimal way to communicate what it is at low resolution. Of course up close they may have blemishes that wouldn't have been a factor the old way, and there is a sort of classiness to the pure 1-to-1 pixel ratio, but overall I think this is an improvement, at least for the context I am using them in.

It is funny that you should mention the cords and cables; when i attempt to draw electronic junk for any other purpose it looks like a doom wall texture, since I spent so long looking at them ages ago that it influenced my other "art," so it may be inevitable that I return to this again and again.

tekgren series

inexplicably only the basic one is 512, the rest i didn't upscale yet but there is a program called waifu which helps a lot with that.
Gez

Post by Gez »

bimshwel wrote:
I like the details of the crossing pipes. Probably not an element that should repeat often in a long wall but it looks nice.
Bratish
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Bratish »

I decided to do the texture part of my TC. But that. what I will lay out is not texture, but more limited to use in the game itself - TITLEPIC:
Bratish`s TC TitlePic V001.png
Yes, this is a big spoiler, but I don’t call names, but only show THEM? In addition, I think this version will not last long in the project, because it is still quite crude, well, not scary.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The title pic being the first thing you see when the game finished loading, I wouldn't say it's a big spoiler. Also it's your avatar.
Bratish
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Bratish »

I took an avatar from this picture, and slightly modified it. Nothing strange. By the way, I also made a blank for INTERPIС:
Bratish`s InterPic V001.png
Already more scary, what do you think? Although the hero came out a bit moronic, but when he is afraid, he can be understood...

UPDATE: I had this pop art drawing in my bins for a long time, I decided to add noise to it and convert it to the Doom palette. I'll see how he, maybe I’ll take him to the project ...
Bratish`s Pop Art InterPic.png
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

Gez wrote:
bimshwel wrote:
I like the details of the crossing pipes. Probably not an element that should repeat often in a long wall but it looks nice.

you are probably right! I am much better at drawing pipes compared to three years ago when I made that, anyway. This is still not perfect but it is better than it was. I should take some inspiration from windows 95's screensavers and make another version with more garishly colored pipes.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

The results of mucking with gradient maps and masks. Seems to work pretty okay, might work better scaled down or in the Doom palette, or scaled down AND in the Doom palette.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Having a go at using Blender to render texture assets for the first time. My plan is to set up a good workflow for exporting brick/grout patterns that can be overlayed on top of existing images. If I can just get it dialed in properly I think this can be used to rapidly generate tons of really high-quality "hand-drawn"-looking brick graphics. This method should have lots of modular tweakability; once I get the grout patterns set up nicely, I can swap out the "base" texture for whatever I want, and put complex brick patterns onto pretty much anything. The grout can also be tweaked and deformed in lots of fun ways to render different sagging/eroded/fucked up-looking brick patterns.

EDIT: added some better examples
Attachments
3.png
3.png (52.99 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
3.gif
3.gif (72.1 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
Ac!d

Post by Ac!d »

Made this texture based on a cross stitch pattern
0.png
0.png (2.02 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
EffinghamHuffnagel

Post by EffinghamHuffnagel »

Ac!d wrote:Made this texture based on a cross stitch pattern
0.png
Like it. But I think all samplers are supposed to have frames. Doom-paletted.
Ac!d

Post by Ac!d »

EffinghamHuffnagel wrote:Like it. But I think all samplers are supposed to have frames. Doom-paletted.
You're right. Thank you very much for the edit.
Hambourgeois

Post by Hambourgeois »

dumb joke thing i made for a wad im working on
IBAWL666.png
IBAWL666.png (16.35 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
e: did some antialiasing and realignment
Talon1024

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

True-colour versions of the updated Plutonia brick textures (plus 8-row versions) I recently submitted to Freedoom:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

And the heightmaps I used:
ImageImage

To apply the heightmap, I made a gray (#808080) layer, applied the bump map filter to it using the heightmap, and set its blend mode with the base texture to "Hard light".
Gorman Frebmane

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

Those heightmaps are very much appreciated :D

Return to “Resources”