Spider from Blood sprite clean-up please

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Enjay

Spider from Blood sprite clean-up please

Post by Enjay »

I'm sure most of us have seen the spider from Blood used in wads. Unfortunately, its most dramatic frames (the ones where it rears up and bites) are only drawn from the front in Blood. I have been wanting to get full rotations for this sprite for quite some time so I tried to do it myself and... well, I fail it, my skill is not enough. In particular, my 2/8 rotation looks awful and I think I even lost some of the legs in the process. :lol:

Is anyone in a position to either do a better job than I did, or at least clean up my sprites? It really only needs 4 pictures (the 2/8, 3/7, 4/6 and 5 angles) so it shouldn't be too much of a task.

Thanks.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Spider from Blood sprite clean-up please

Post by Tapwave »

Enjay wrote: I fail it, my skill is not enough. In particular, my 2/8 rotation looks awful and I think I even lost some of the legs in the process. :lol:
Thanks.
Well, actually, the sprites are pretty well done, although the thrid rotation of the first sprite is slightly wonky, i suggest making it turn around a wee bit more.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'll see if I can do anything with that third one. I will probably end up making it look worse though. :lol:

In case I gave the wrong impression, the bottom pictures were not by me. They are the frames from Blood that I was using as a reference.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Better? Worse? Or merely different?

And no, I don't know why it gets smaller when viewed from the non-front/rear angles. :P
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

The third is much better, but now the second looks a bit sloppily angled (like if you used Paint.net's panorama tool).
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I just did it by hand in Paint Shop Pro. I think that seeing the underside of the spider in the 2/8 angle makes sense, but I'm struggling to do something better (hence the thread ;) ).

As a matter of interest, the "panorama tool" - is that some sort of perspective tool? Good old DPaint had that something like 20 years or more ago on the Amiga (and the not quite so good PC version) and I have been looking for something with the same basic ability for years. I even keep an old copy of DPaint around and run it using DOSBox if I need to use that ability (hmmm... maybe I should have tried that with this sprite). However, DPaint is getting more and more awkward to use with its non-windows conventions, arcane keystrokes and support for only LBM and PCX images.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Well, the GIMP has perspective tools.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm, I think I may still have that installed on another computer. I'll take a look. I always found it quite difficult to get to grips with the GIMP - possibly because I am very familiar with PSP so learning another program that, most of the time, is just doing something that I can already do quickly and (reasonably) well in PSP can be frustrating.

Return to “Resources”