[Weapon] Firebrand longsword

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!

[Weapon] Firebrand longsword

Postby wildweasel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:19 pm

Back in the day, I was working on a sequel to The Stranger for Heretic. One of the weapons included in said mod was a modified Quietus from Hexen, edited by Marty Kirra to have Doomguy hands and no runes. Despite having canceled the mod, the longsword somehow found its way into Realm667's Armory without my permission. I had originally asked for it to be removed, but I yet continue to see mods created that include it from before it was pulled. Since I don't intend to actually finish and release The Stranger Part 2 (not anytime soon anyway) and I tend to jump down the throats of any authors unfortunate enough to have included the sword, I figure it's not really fair of me to horde the weapon to myself, so I've taken the opportunity to separate it from its source WAD, modify it somewhat to make it into a normal weapon, and release it for free use UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS.
SRDGD0.png

ww-htic-longsword.pk3

To wield this weapon, simply find a Chainsaw. It's on slot 1. Mash Fire to swing. Mash Altfire to sacrifice your life force to bring the sword to powered-up mode for 30 seconds.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE

By using Firebrand in your project, you agree to do the following:
  • Give credit where credit is due, whether in a text file or in the decorate lump
  • Let me know if your project uses this weapon (you do not need to ask permission, but it would be nice if I was aware of projects that use it)
  • I'd appreciate it if you added your own special flourishes to the weapon instead of just using it verbatim but there's no problem if you don't
  • Please don't submit this to Realm667 without asking me first
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Re: [Weapon] Firebrand longsword

Postby Xim » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:51 pm

Yeah, sorry I think that way my bad a long time ago. It was back when the site was starting up with the armoury so me and a lot of people went nuts. Anyways, I was totally wanting to use this for a special little project of mine, and I do intend to try and code it up myself. Thanks for releasing this! :D
Xim

Postby printz » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Awesome. I'm probably going to use it, because it fits some of my wishes (Doomguy holding something magical). It might be a Dehacked modification though. Ok with it?
printz
Eternity, Eureka and AutoDoom programmer

Github ID: ioan-chera
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby ChronoSeth » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:49 pm

Hm... I wonder if I could tack a fighter hand onto that. Would certainly fit my mod better than the vorpal blade...
ChronoSeth
You are totally unique, just like everyone else.

Postby wildweasel » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:08 pm

printz wrote:Awesome. I'm probably going to use it, because it fits some of my wishes (Doomguy holding something magical). It might be a Dehacked modification though. Ok with it?

I honestly fail to see the point of the Dehacked, but no problem.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Mike12 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:35 pm

wildweasel wrote:
printz wrote:Awesome. I'm probably going to use it, because it fits some of my wishes (Doomguy holding something magical). It might be a Dehacked modification though. Ok with it?

Some people still use it in order to keep wads compatible with Zdaemon. That's pretty much the only purpose it can serve nowadays though.
Mike12
Horror fanatic

Postby printz » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:59 pm

wildweasel wrote:

Trying for a PrBoom/MBF mod usage. Do mind that it implies using less of what the weapon is capable in DECORATE, including graphics (fewer frames used). This is why I asked if it's ok by you. Also I'll turn it into a projectile firer (don't worry, it won't be like the plasma gun or BFG9000 at all). But in the end it all depends whether I find an even more fitting graphics, or if I really decide to use this one, so yeah.
printz

Postby Ghastly » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:23 pm

wildweasel wrote:the longsword somehow found its way into Realm667's Armory without my permission

Sorry about that. We've gotten a bit better about making sure people have permission to submit others' work, and original authors are perfectly able to ask that it be taken down.
Ghastly
Rather ghastly
Spotlight Team

Postby Tormentor667 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:35 am

wildweasel wrote:the longsword somehow found its way into Realm667's Armory without my permission.

I am sorry, this must have happened during the update to the new page. I just removed it again! This was not intended.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby wildweasel » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:56 pm

Tormentor667 wrote:I am sorry, this must have happened during the update to the new page. I just removed it again! This was not intended.

Wow, again? I thought it'd only happened once years ago...
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby printz » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:16 pm

wildweasel wrote:
Tormentor667 wrote:I am sorry, this must have happened during the update to the new page. I just removed it again! This was not intended.

Wow, again? I thought it'd only happened once years ago...

I also saw the entry and was about to report it, but then I clicked to download it and it mysteriously asked me to log in, which doesn't happen elsewhere. I guess it was only a ghost/leftover entry, right Tormentor?
printz

Postby Tormentor667 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Yeah, definitely. The file has already been removed, it just happend during the migration from Joomla 1.0 to 1.5 that the content, that was actually just disabled (in case you submit the weapon on your own) was reactivated again, that's all.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby PaladinPv » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:56 pm

Hello Wildweasel,
I was hoping to change this sprite up a bunch but the changes I want to make are drastic, such as putting a tablet in the center of the hilt, and giving it different elements.
Any tips for what I should do?
PaladinPv

Discord: PaladinPv#2959

Postby wildweasel » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:25 am

PaladinPv wrote:Hello Wildweasel,
I was hoping to change this sprite up a bunch but the changes I want to make are drastic, such as putting a tablet in the center of the hilt, and giving it different elements.
Any tips for what I should do?

This is not something that I would be much help with, unfortunately. I'm not much of an artist.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby CeeJay » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:20 pm

Not to mention the 10 year bump :D
CeeJay

Next

Return to Resources