(Project WIP) Assault Rifle

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Pandut
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

(Project WIP) Assault Rifle

Post by Pandut »

What do you think?

Ripped from Fallout 3 via screenshot, souped up in GIMP and this is the semi-final product. Just a small project I was working on, alongside 80 other different ones and I felt like actually showing off some. Originally, this particular project(s) of weapons screening wasn't going very well to plan until I discovered the awesome Smudge tool in gimp. Needless to say, results went from bad to awesome and it was actually a lot of fun to work on this.

I'll start working on the firing frames soon, taking a little break as I've been at this for a few hours XD.

I may do other Fallout weapons or other weapons from different games. Stay tuned!
Zero X. Diamond

Re: (Project WIP) Assault Rifle

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

I hate to say it since it sounds like you put a lot of time into this, but this looks really awful. It's very smudgy and misshapen; the gun looks like thin, cheap plastic vacuuformed off of a real gun. The aesthetic is overall more easily compared to a Monet painting than Doom pixel art.
Pandut

Post by Pandut »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:I hate to say it since it sounds like you put a lot of time into this, but this looks really awful. It's very smudgy and misshapen; the gun looks like thin, cheap plastic vacuuformed off of a real gun. The aesthetic is overall more easily compared to a Monet painting than Doom pixel art.
:shock:

It's really that bad? I can see where you're getting at to some areas, specifically where the trigger and clip are. I'll admit, it looks a little strange there. And the tool I used is called "smudge" for a reason :P, but now that you mention it the backend looks a little off. I'm still experimenting, as I'm not very skilled with image-manipulation programs.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

The perspective is actually quite excellent. It's just the colors and shading is too paint-like. Would make a unique style if the mod had all sprites like this, but wouldn't really fit well with other things, I'm afraid. It's also very bright, as in the contrast is very high. Making the weapon look like it's made from silver or nickle. I wouldn't call it a wasted effort, since you can still traw over the perspective, which is often the hardest thing to get right, that and the lighting are in the right places, as far as I can tell. :)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The sights probably need to be completely redrawn; the front sight in particular is broken.
Pandut

Post by Pandut »

Better? Worse? I think I might've dialed the color down a bit too much... I didn't edit the hand yet, as most attention seems to be focused on the gun.
timmyr0x0r

Post by timmyr0x0r »

I think that it might be better to redraw ALL the rifle completely instead of smugde it. I explain:
- The weapon , as a 3D model, has too much noise if you convert it like that.
- You can use the rip as a base. Paint it completely black, and so you can 'draw' the general forms of the rifle, and then use gradients and detailing. You can forget the details already here: there are too pixelated. That will need a lot of work, but the result could be WAY more epic.
- The rifle need colors too: why the heck the gun seems to be cut off a old black and white show?

PS: But the hands and the arm are epic already! I'd want to see a complete sheet of these for use!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Pandut wrote:Better? Worse? I think I might've dialed the color down a bit too much... I didn't edit the hand yet, as most attention seems to be focused on the gun.
Although timmyr0x0r makes some good points, to answer your question, better. It was the overly bright "shine" effect that bothered me most. Presumably it was a result of the "cool" 3D filters in the original game giving the weapon surface a shine effect - but which, when converted to a sprite just came across as almost white areas.

Yeah, I think it's looking better. I'm not sure if you darkened it too much or not to be honest with you though.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

It's a bit better. It's still too soft and blotchy looking. The weapon form shows a hard rigid outline, but the shading makes the weapon look like it has smooth edges where you shouldn't have them. This inconsistency needs to be fixed. I recommend you draw over the sprite, using only the perspective and using more solid shading.
Xim

Post by Xim »

I think the light parts are too much lighter than the rest and clashes a bit much. The hands are pretty cool though.

I could see this turning out really good given some more work, so keep it up! :D
Pandut

Post by Pandut »

A first attempt at shading -- Used a crap load of reference pictures, mainly AK-47's which is why I tried to use a different color on the front grip. Not digging the sudden color transition between brown and white so I'll probably edit it. But so far, I think it looks a bit better. Shading's a little off, probably but i'll get it right eventually.
Doomfreak

Post by Doomfreak »

It looks even better IMO, but i think you should try to get rid of that white mess.
HellCattX

Post by HellCattX »

Its a good version of the Fallout 3 chinese assault rifle however,
The fallout 3 G.E.C.K. doesnt allow for screenshots, and to look at the model its all smooth shaded and the flat textures are external files. I've tried to make a fallout 3 mod before, extremely dificult.
Here is a clearer view for those who dont know fallout 3 of what he's trying to make.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Ah, now I see where the blotchy colors are coming from. Given the low resolution of Doom sprites, it's best to leave out the rust and paint. You can add these in after you've finished the "clean" version of the weapon to prevent blotchiness.

Return to “Resources”