[RESOURCES] Last Rites

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Xim

Re: [RESOURCES] Last Rites

Post by Xim »

Zero X. Diamond wrote: Greedy? Yeah, maybe, but I was hoping to have a burst of originality in my first big project. Guess that's no longer going to be the case.
No offense, but I wouldn't call ripping graphics from an obscure game "a burst of originality". If you want to be original, try making your own graphics. :P
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

It's more original than using the Duke Nukem 3D shotgun and the Shadow Warrior UZI for the five millionth time is what I'm saying. I'd make my own graphics if I didn't completely suck at making graphics of the detail level required to fit in a Doom setting.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Well, not entirely. You're still ripping graphics, you're just ripping graphics from a game that haven't been used as much. I agree it is a better choice to do that though, because people are really tired of those guns for certain.

What I usually like to do is do slight edits of weapon graphics that haven't been used yet. Like not a lot of people had used Duke 64 weapons, but I still thought I'd do some slight edits of the sprites just for shits.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:EDIT: While I'm coming clean, I also figured out Eradicator and have access to everything except MIDI files for it. That one is a little less secret since I handed some sloppy preliminary weapon rips to wildweasel in a lesser viewed thread of his a while back, but I still feel like I might as well put that one out there.
This makes me feel less bad for losing that Eradicator hud weapon rip I was doing last year heh.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:EDIT: While I'm coming clean, I also figured out Eradicator and have access to everything except MIDI files for it. That one is a little less secret since I handed some sloppy preliminary weapon rips to wildweasel in a lesser viewed thread of his a while back, but I still feel like I might as well put that one out there.
And in a burst of irony, I have made pretty much zero use of the rips in question. =P
CruX

Post by CruX »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:Well, since somebody's gone to the trouble to do this, I have to admit something: I have had Last Rites cracked for ages now. I've been keeping it under wraps because I was hoping to use some of the weapons and monsters in a secret project I've had an idea for since last winter, but now that they're out anyways I might as well note that I know all the file formats, where things are stored and generally am capable of getting better quality rips than this.
Does this mean you'll be releasing those sometime soon? Because while it's going to royally suck that all of that work was done for (essentially) nothing, there's still plenty of stuff I simply couldn't get, and what I could get obviously needs improvement.

Ceeb wrote:Hey, I've been needing a unique RPG for my Canyon Outpost mod; can I use this one? (I mean, they're not YOUR resources but you went to the trouble of ripping them... :roll: I like to be proper.)
Ordinarily I'd say yes, but in light of what Zero X. just said, I'm not entirely sure it makes a difference now.

EDIT:
C.A's post just reminded me, if anyone out there has wanted to play L.R and managed to scour up a copy of it, but can't get it to run through DOSbox, go into the game's main folder. In that folder, there's a file called "path.lr". Open up that file in notepad, and delete everything in it, but don't delete the file itself. If you do that, the game should work just fine. That's using version .74 of DOSbox, but since the change has to do with the game itself, I don't think that should make any difference. There's also a copy floating around on the interwebs that has v.74 of DOSbox included with the download of L.R and the necessary change has already been made, but apparently it's a bit harder to come by.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Globe wrote:If you've ever played the game, you might've also recognized some of the sound effects from Last Rites in the project video. I can rip most of them, I just don't have much interest in anything aside from basic menu beeps and the like, but if anyone would like for me to try and get something specific, I can give it a shot.
I wouldn't mind having the weapon sounds, or at least the uzi firing sound from the vid because it's cool for some reason. :P
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:Well, since somebody's gone to the trouble to do this, I have to admit something: I have had Last Rites cracked for ages now. I've been keeping it under wraps because I was hoping to use some of the weapons and monsters in a secret project I've had an idea for since last winter, but now that they're out anyways I might as well note that I know all the file formats, where things are stored and generally am capable of getting better quality rips than this.

Greedy? Yeah, maybe, but I was hoping to have a burst of originality in my first big project. Guess that's no longer going to be the case.

EDIT: While I'm coming clean, I also figured out Eradicator and have access to everything except MIDI files for it. That one is a little less secret since I handed some sloppy preliminary weapon rips to wildweasel in a lesser viewed thread of his a while back, but I still feel like I might as well put that one out there.
Well... I sincerely hope that means you are going to release the resources for both games. Out of curiosity, are there more shooters that you managed to crack, but didn't tell anyone? It would also be nice if you could tell others how you managed to crack the games, so that maybe the same methods could apply to other games.

Glad to hear this, though. As you know I've wanted to see the resources from this game (and Eradicator too) for quite a while. Still that's a good job with the screenshot ripping!
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

It would be awesome to see Eradicator and Last Rites added to Slade3.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Snarboo wrote:It would be awesome to see Eradicator and Last Rites added to Slade3.
Yes. :yup: And I believe it supports Build ART files now! Not to be mean, but I really hope it can eventually obsolete XWE completely, by supporting all the same file types and more. (Seeing as Csabo stopped working on it, and nobody seems interested in fixing it up...)
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

I mean, to be completely clear, I haven't ripped everything... I've just got access to it. I've cracked the file formats (for the most part) and know where everything's at. For either one, ripping stuff is currently a pain in the ass because I have to do it frame by frame. If somebody from the Slade3 team wants what information I do have on the file formats (the information I have is somewhat incomplete, mind you) I would be happy to give it out to, if nothing else, make ripping everything easier. And I was going to release rips for both once I'd released information about my project, so I'm not a total jerk!

As for the question regarding other games, I haven't cracked anything else that I haven't been open about. If I knew more about compression routines, that might be another story, but yeah.
CruX

Post by CruX »

Well, if it means anything at all, I'm sorry I spoiled what you were planning with L.R, but is there any chance you could share the process involved in cracking the game? I worked hard for these screenshot rips alone, but as long as I have a solid idea of what I'm doing, I'll gladly put forth whatever effort it takes to get the rest of this stuff finished (mostly for the sake of my own mod than anyone else's, really :D)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Absolutely useful, more! :)
CruX

Post by CruX »

I'd like to, but knowing that the game can be cracked really deflates my motivation. I mean, if there's eventually going to be a flawless release of everything in the game, it's tough to see the point in going through the hassle of screenshot ripping what's left. Of course, I'm still not opposed to the idea of attempting to nab specific things on request.

Return to “Resources”