[Sprites] Cartoon zombies, cartoon weapons

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
WORrior

[Sprites] Cartoon zombies, cartoon weapons

Post by WORrior »

That's my second contribution on this board. I know that cartoon styled sprites can expect mixed welcome, but maybe somebody will need those. They all come from my abandoned project.

Use them, finish them, edit them. Just credit me as the author, if you're gonna place them in your mod :)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Note about the background color. It seems that I did something wrong previously (n00b), so maybe explaining what's been done to sprites posted here can help:
1) I keep every single sprite of those monsters as a 24-bit BMP on my HDD. Background of each sprite is Cyan: sixth - counting from left to right - color of lower row in MS Paint colorbox.
2) I opened each of those files in MS Paint, copied them (yeah, I know, I could have used special sheet-making app) and pasted to a new, big 24-bit MS Paint file.
4) Then I chose File->Save as and saved as a "filename.png".
5) And those png's are posted here.
Ceeb

Re: [Sprites] Cartoon zombies, cartoon weapons

Post by Ceeb »

Pretty cute stuff. I'll admit it's all useless to me, but if you did a whole WAD in that style it could be charming.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

I recognize the underlying shapes of several popular weapons in there - Whether you overdrew them or just worked from them, amazing job! :D
DoomSplitter

Post by DoomSplitter »

The weapons look good, they just need some proper shading to become useful to the general community. I recommend that you check out Scuba Steve's Weapon Creation Tutorial.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

They aren't supposed to be shaded, or realistic at all. Did you miss the word "cartoon" several times?
DoomSplitter

Post by DoomSplitter »

NeuralStunner wrote:They aren't supposed to be shaded, or realistic at all. Did you miss the word "cartoon" several times?
:? Of course I read it, I'm just trying to say that the lack of shading makes the sprites less useful because they would look out of place with normal Doom graphics.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Ceeb wrote:Pretty cute stuff. I'll admit it's all useless to me, but if you did a whole WAD in that style it could be charming.
8-)
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Honestly, even in a mod of that style, it wouldn't work that well. You need *some* shading. Even if it's just one extra color, it would have a hell of a lot more depth and the like.
WORrior

Post by WORrior »

NeuralStunner wrote:I recognize the underlying shapes of several popular weapons in there - Whether you overdrew them or just worked from them, amazing job! :D
I didn't overdraw them - they're just based on those weapons that I'm familiar with... I remember googling a screenshot of some needed weapons and drawing my sprites from beggining, only refering to googled pics for directions. Otherwise I could mess the perspective & details up.

Shotgun is based on Doom's shotgun (imho best shotgun eva' made), scoped rifle is a shotgun's variation, glock... well, a standard glock. I just loved those white dots on a rear sight. M-4 & ingrams are based on a counter-strike without a reason. I didn't like cstrike's weapon models but for some strange reason this game became to me "The ultimate game about real guns". Most probably they appeared as the first ones when I had googled "ingram mac-10" ;-)

I remember that I thought about having lighter-spraycan comibnation (like in Blood) because I've always thought that was the best conceived weapon ever. BFG might have attitude, Shadow Warrior's katana might be cool, Quake nailer might be the nastiest one, Heaby Metal FAKK 2 chainsaw-sword the most frantic... but best conceived? Always spraycan flamethrower :)

(oh, besides Star Wars' lighstaber.)

I've also found this:
Spoiler:
I don't know why I cared about lame-shading but it seems that I had a reason. Anyway, might be heplfull and...
DoomSplitter wrote:The weapons look good, they just need some proper shading to become useful to the general community.
...and maybe that's what you had in mind?

But in general, I must agree with Ceeb and NeuralStunner ("The Exterminator" mod looks amazing for me), and test wad that I had made for my project looked satisfying enough to me.

Return to “Resources”