[Project] Jumbo XL Marathon series Resource Project

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Snarboo

[Project] Jumbo XL Marathon series Resource Project

Post by Snarboo »

After years of searching, I've finally found a way to rip resources from the Marathon series. Thanks to CeeJay and his Marathon mod thread over at Doomworld, I quickly stumbled upon a program called ShapesFusion. The program seems to support Marathon 2: Durandal and Marathon Infinity right out of the box, with the possibility that it might support other Marathon engine games, such as ZPC and Damage Inc.

This thread will be a resource for all Marathon series games and scenarios that I (or anyone else) rips resources from.

Marathon Durandal: Marathon Infinity:
I plan on ripping graphics from a few popular Marathon fan scenarios, such as M1A1, Marathon Evil and Rubicon. If ShapesFusion has support for ZPC and Damage Inc, I will most likely rip resources from those two games as well.
Last edited by Snarboo on Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jblade

Re: [Project] Jumbo XL Marathon series Resource Project

Post by Jblade »

Awesome stuff, thanks for this :) Having the resources from the Marathon mods would also be great - I remember Evil having some amazing looking monsters.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Hey!

This is exactly what i hoped you WOULDN'T DO. Oh, well, what's done is done. It's just that this kinda makes my mod feel pointless what with the resources freely available.

BTW ShapeFusion DOES support sounds. Just change the format to sounds when you open a file and choose the sound data file.

Anyhow, if anybody want to see what my projects's all about, head on over to the DoomWorld forums, i've posted several YouTube clips.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I feel I owe it to you to link to your mod:
CeeJay's Marathon Weapons Mod

I wasn't sure if I should go ahead with this after you told me your reasoning, but I don't think it hurts for the resources to be made freely available. Your mod is pretty far along and I don't think anyone is likely to copy your work.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

old games that no one gives a shit about = no one gives a shit if you rip em.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Okay, I've ripped all the sounds from Infinity. Sorry that took a while, it was a bit of a pain.

Next up I think I'll tackle M1A1, a remake of Marathon for AlephOne. Marathon's graphics are vastly different from Durandal and Infinity's, being slightly more cartoony and amateurish.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

CeeJay wrote:This is exactly what i hoped you WOULDN'T DO. Oh, well, what's done is done. It's just that this kinda makes my mod feel pointless what with the resources freely available.
You don't own the resources. You have just as much rights as snarboo has over them. (IE: none) You can't tell people what to do. You can ask nicely, but you won't always get what you want.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

InsanityBringer wrote:You don't own the resources. You have just as much rights as snarboo has over them. (IE: none) You can't tell people what to do. You can ask nicely, but you won't always get what you want.

Yeah, that's exactly what i did. I ask nicely and also stated (in the DoomWorld thread) that i do not own the copyright nor can stop anybody else from ripping the resources. So your comment is pointless.

Snarboo, BTW, the three Marathon games use diffrent texture sets. There are a few similiar ones between Durandal and Infinity but most of them are completly diffrent from each other. I know this because i am working on a textures WAD.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Oh that's right. I'll probably rip Durandal's textures next. Thanks for the heads up.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

I think there are about three to five textures from Marathon 2 reused in Infinity and a couple of ones that closely resembles ones from M2 (but not identical). I had to put these textures side by side to determine wether they were the same or not.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Durandal's texture sets and skies have been uploaded.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

ShapesFusion does indeed support other Marathon engine games. I just tried Damage Incorporated and it works flawlessly. I'll try and upload a resource for this in the next few days.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for these. Most (if not all) the sprites were already available at the spriters resource but they weren't nicely packaged together in easily navigable zips like this.

Return to “Resources”