[Sprite] Cacomental

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Enjay

Re: [Sprite] Cacomental

Post by Enjay »

Orangewaggs wrote:In a video about Doom 3 Kevin Cloud called the Cacodemon a strawberry in the originals :D
I'd heard that too but the bumpy surface does look more raspberry like. They've often been called tomatoes as well. The shape is more correct but the skin is probably too smooth.

So, to keep everyone happy:
Spoiler:
ProjectAngel

Post by ProjectAngel »

I say tomato, you say cacomato.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

heh
Spoiler:
Orangewaggs

Post by Orangewaggs »

Ichor wrote:heh
that's funny
@Enjay: Yes, Now Everyone Should be happy but, back on topic I like the first version with no arms the best imo
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

The MK2 version is awesome, would you mind if this gets submitted to the Beastiary? (or maybe you do it in the forums on Realm667 with all the necessary info?)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I don't mind at all but the DECORATE is a bit boring ATM. It's pretty much just a Cacodemon clone. I don't think it should be too fancy but something that made it a bit more interesting and an entity in its own right would be nice.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Suppose it spewed streams or waves of fireballs? Maybe it could charge like a Lost Soul, or, (since it has "mental" in the name,) it could use something like the beta psych attack.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

One thing that I didn't like about the beta psych attack was that it was very obviously just a hitscan attack pretty much like a pistol shot with a different sound. If, however, the sound (possibly with a little warning sound first) could be made to originate at the location of the target rather than the monster firing, then the attack would be "in your head", be a bit more different and make more sense too.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

There's probably a better way to do it, but what if you just made it a silent, invisible projectile that made sounds (and possibly some sort of visual cue) when hitting the player? You could make it super fast to make it equivocal to a hitscan and, as I said, you could have a spark come up off of whatever it hits or whatever.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Enjay wrote:One thing that I didn't like about the beta psych attack was that it was very obviously just a hitscan attack pretty much like a pistol shot with a different sound. If, however, the sound (possibly with a little warning sound first) could be made to originate at the location of the target rather than the monster firing, then the attack would be "in your head", be a bit more different and make more sense too.
[wiki=Classes:BulletPuff]Puff Actors[/wiki] can have a SeeSound, which is the sound the puff itself plays when hitting a target actor. That's what makes the fist go WHOP. :)
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Wouldn't a modified Archvile attack be best for a "psychic" effect? The player can also move out of the way in time using that method.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Now why didn't I think of that?
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

Enjay and Ichor have some funny content to show!!!!
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I suppose the Archvile-ish attack could work, but only if there's a long enough wind-up (that the player can see quite easily a la A_Fire) that there's time to get out of the way. The Archvile worked because you get a short window of time to duck behind something, offering for quite-frantic gameplay. Taking this out and just having him hitscan you to death would be incredibly annoying and not much fun at all.

Still, that big mouth of his has got to be useful for something... perhaps he alternates attacks?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I'm not sure I understand the crowd who thinks monster decorate needs to be big and fancy. I mean, big and fancy projectiles WOOHOO! and big and fancy graphics effects BOIIIIIIIING!, but why can't the thing just be a stronger/weaker version of the cacodemon/use a flamethrower attack or something?

Return to “Resources”