[Project] Zero's Resources - NEW!: Quarantine 2 & More!

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Snarboo

Re: [Project] Zero's Resources - NEXT RIP: Help me decide!

Post by Snarboo »

Necrodome and Quiver are the two that interest me most. Great to see you working on more rips, you are the MAN Zero X. :)
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Necrodome! Please! :D
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Necrodome's been ripped before, but only enemy/texture/decoration resources. Nobody has succeeded in grabbing the HUD weapons outside of the crude screengrabs I did a looong while back.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Xaser wrote:Necrodome's been ripped before, but only enemy/texture/decoration resources. Nobody has succeeded in grabbing the HUD weapons outside of the crude screengrabs I did a looong while back.
Really? I've never seen the textures or decorations made available anywhere. At any rate, this rip is being conducted with a modified palette that uses cyan for transparency instead of black, which already differentiates it from every rip I've seen thus far. I guess since the public has asked for it the most anyways, I'll get to work finishing it up.

FUN FACT: I actually started ripping Necrodome back in December of '09, which means I was apparently ripping it not too long after my first couple of rips. Why I stopped I have forgotten!
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:At any rate, this rip is being conducted with a modified palette that uses cyan for transparency instead of black, which already differentiates it from every rip I've seen thus far.
Ah, good point. It will be very welcome, in this case. :)
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:
Xaser wrote:Necrodome's been ripped before, but only enemy/texture/decoration resources. Nobody has succeeded in grabbing the HUD weapons outside of the crude screengrabs I did a looong while back.
Really? I've never seen the textures or decorations made available anywhere. At any rate, this rip is being conducted with a modified palette that uses cyan for transparency instead of black, which already differentiates it from every rip I've seen thus far. I guess since the public has asked for it the most anyways, I'll get to work finishing it up.

FUN FACT: I actually started ripping Necrodome back in December of '09, which means I was apparently ripping it not too long after my first couple of rips. Why I stopped I have forgotten!
I already done that some time before. I posted some Hexen-like Necrodome decorations few times, they were ignored everytime. But I wasnt able to rip HUD graphics which I would be interested in.
Zero X. Diamond

Well, look at that! I've discovered a way to get some graphics that haven't been ripped before from Necrodome! For example, the fire effect that burns up the screen as a new game is started. Hopefully this means I'll be able to grab the HUD weapons and what have you as well! We'll have to see, though.

FAKE EDIT: And I've located the actual HUD graphics! Yes! This means I'll be able to put together a pretty well complete rip!

EDIT: Ugh, shit. I've found what appears to be weapon graphics (I can see yellow/orange and gray in here) but they also appear to be compressed somehow. If I don't miss my guess it's a simple kind of compression, but it is compression nonetheless.

EDIT #2: I'm pretty sure that the weapons are RLE compressed, if memory serves me as to how RLE compressed graphics appear. They're still fairly identifiable so there's not anything particularly complex at work here. If I could just find a way to decompress them...
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hrm, interesting -- I wonder why they decided to go and do that? At least it explains why XWE refuses to open them, at least... I wish you serious luck with this. :)
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Probably to save on space. It is pretty efficient for things like graphics.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Why would they compress only a select few graphics, though? The majority of them aren't, for whatever reason, and it seems a bit of an odd mix.
Gez

Post by Gez »

RLE only shines on graphics where you have many horizontal (or vertical, for a column-major format) bands of pixels that have the same index.
Zero X. Diamond

At any rate, my search for some sort of easy to use RLE decompressor has come up completely blank. I haven't even found a difficult to use one. I haven't found one at all! Anyone have any ideas of how to approach this?
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Shouldn't most graphics programs read RLE bitmaps by default? :? If so, just extract the data, open it in GIMP (or MSPaint, for that matter) and re-save it. Of course, I could have no idea what I'm talking about...

EDIT: seems to be standard compression for MS-Windows BMPs...
http://www.fileformat.info/format/bmp/egff.htm
http://www.imageconverterplus.com/how-t ... e_bmp.html

8-)
Zero X. Diamond

The problem is that I can't just "extract the data" because I'm looking at it in a specialized graphics viewing program. There is no option to extract.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Ah. Hmm. Okay, is there any kind of tool that tells you what the offset of the data is? Maybe you could use that info to strip the raw data out with a hex editor. Otherwise, I have nothing useful to add. :shrug: I've never done any work with ripping, so I have no idea how it works.

8-)

Return to “Resources”