[Project] Zero's Resources - NEW!: Quarantine 2 & More!

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Snarboo

Re: [Project] Zero's Resources - LATEST RIP: Eye of the Beholder

Post by Snarboo »

I know a bit about the Amiga, but not enough to tell you how to extract any data from an Amiga game. The best place to start would be to read up on how the Amiga rendered games and what tools and file formats were commonly used. The Amiga had a well known art program called Deluxe Paint, which was comparable to Photoshop. There were probably a number of other programs and file formats used too.

As for compression, most Amiga games came on floppy diskettes and were rarely installed to the hard drive, so some form of compression is likely. It's also possible that some games didn't use compression, however. Game designers of the day knew a lot of tricks for squeezing graphics and sounds from the system, and the Amiga was only capable of 32 or 64 color palettes before the AGA chip was introduced. That would probably explain why the sprites you have are so small: they are probably small in pixel dimension and use a palette. Even if a game did use the AGA chip, it wouldn't make the file size much larger.
Last edited by Snarboo on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Well, even if they're not COMPRESSED so to speak, they still aren't raw image data. Something has to process these files in some way for them to be usable because when I try to read image data from them I get a roughly 64x64 square of noise for what should be several rotations of animations. Pretty sure Gloom Deluxe was designed for the AGA chipset, too.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Yeah, I'm thinking Gloom Deluxe used compression. It was a pretty advanced game for the time, although I'm not sure if it came on a floppy, a CD or both. I wonder if the CD version would have used compression?
Zero X. Diamond

Well, according to my sources, it was a floppy release only. I figured the graphics would have had to have been compressed because, like you said, Gloom Deluxe was really pushing the envelope of what the Amiga could do at the time. The question then is how were they compressed? If I knew the method, I might be able to find some way to decompress them.

EDIT: There was a CD32 release of standard Gloom, but that has lower resolution graphics than Deluxe and as such probably wouldn't be much use to anyone.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I can't tell you how the game was compressed. It could have used a method available at the time or the compression algorithm could have been written in-house. An Amiga enthusiast forum might be able to answer your questions, though.
Zero X. Diamond

Probably, yeah. Of interest, I found an old collection of rejected resources from Gloom 3 that include uncompressed IFF (Interchange File Format) graphics. Going to go out on a whim and venture to guess that this is probably what this game's predecessor used, only with compression of some sort applied, seeing as how the two games appear to be on the same engine. May be incorrect, but hell, it's the most substantial piece of information I have!
Diodeus

Post by Diodeus »

Excellent work, Zero X. Diamond!
Can You rip sprites from any of this old FPS: Depth Dwellers, Mortal Coil, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Fortress of Doctor Radiaki?

With best regards, Diodeus.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Diodeus wrote:Excellent work, Zero X. Diamond!
Can You rip sprites from any of this old FPS: Depth Dwellers, Mortal Coil, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Fortress of Doctor Radiaki?

With best regards, Diodeus.
Dude...guy's not a robot! =P
Zero X. Diamond

Already looked at Depth Dwellers and as far as I can see that's no dice; I can't figure out where the data is stored. My one hunch was a file full of gibberish when I tried to have a look inside it, so either that wasn't it or the graphics utilize some sort of compression. I have never heard of Mortal Coil or Bram Stoker's Dracula, and The Fortress of Dr. Radiaki is one that I intended to look at but never was able to secure a copy of.
Diodeus

Post by Diodeus »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:Already looked at Depth Dwellers and as far as I can see that's no dice; I can't figure out where the data is stored. My one hunch was a file full of gibberish when I tried to have a look inside it, so either that wasn't it or the graphics utilize some sort of compression. I have never heard of Mortal Coil or Bram Stoker's Dracula, and The Fortress of Dr. Radiaki is one that I intended to look at but never was able to secure a copy of.
Thanks for answer. I can e-mail you archive with “The Fortress of Dr. Radiaki” ~ 7,5Mb.
Links for:
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Screenshots: http://www.old-games.ru/game/screenshots/2504.html
Download: NO

Mortal Coil: Adrenalin Intelligence
Screenshots: http://www.old-games.ru/game/screenshots/1973.html
Download:NO
Last edited by Diodeus on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diodeus

Post by Diodeus »

Sprites and textures from Rebel Moon Rising:
http://rapidshare.com/files/338921078/R ... g.rar.html

HUD, HUD items and sky from Kingpin:
http://rapidshare.com/files/338933032/Kingpin.rar.html
Zero X. Diamond

None of those download links work for me. The two in your first post are entirely in Russian, which as an American I do not understand a word of, and thus I cannot navigate to the actual downloads to save my life. As for the second link (which by what you've said isn't even a game but a pack of rips?) it appears that the host is overloaded and can't allow anybody who doesn't want to pay money to download things right now.

EDIT: If you're going to post a bunch of rips, you should probably start your own thread for them.
Diodeus

Post by Diodeus »

The_Fortress_Of_Doctor_Radiaki download:
NUH-UH

Nerves of Steel download:
NO DICE, BUSTER
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I don't think the terms of service allow you to directly link to abandonware or warez of any kind, so it's best if you remove those links.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Snarboo wrote:I don't think the terms of service allow you to directly link to abandonware or warez of any kind, so it's best if you remove those links.
Too late, I already did it for him. =P

Return to “Resources”