[Project] Zero's Resources - NEW!: Quarantine 2 & More!

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Enjay

Re: [Project] Zero's Resources - LATEST RIP: Powerslave

Post by Enjay »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:does it by chance run on the same engine as any other games?
No, I'm pretty sure they don't. EOB1&2 (the ones I am most interested in) ran on the same engine as each other but I'm not aware of any other games that did. EOB3 ran on a newer (awful) engine that was also used for the game "Dungeon Hack" by the same company but, again, I think those were the only games that did.

I realise that you probably won't manage this but there's no harm in asking eh? ;)
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Well, you never know--you might be surprised. I know I was when I just found this moments ago purely on a hunch:

Turns out Last Rites' weapons ARE stored external to the EXE, contrary to what my buddy thought. The textures and enemies and what have you are still nowhere to be found so I'm assuming they're probably internal in some way, but I have finally found where the weapons graphics are stored and a way to view them! Now the big problem is adjusting the settings enough for the weapons to show up at the right resolution and, harder still, finding the correct palette to display them in.
Zero X. Diamond

Enjay wrote:I realise that you probably won't manage this but there's no harm in asking eh? ;)
Wouldn't usually bump my own thread so soon after making a post, but I think this might be of interest to Enjay:

Is this what you were talking about?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OMG! Yes! that's exactly what I was talking about. Are you able to grab the other walls too? That's amazing. I've been after these for years. I was even toying with playing right through both (possibly even all three) games again and trying to make screen grabs that I could chop around and stitch together somehow.
Zero X. Diamond

Well, I've only been able to grab the walls from Eye of the Beholder I. The format from II is somehow incompatible with the handful of ripping tools that I've come across. However, you seem very excited about the whole ordeal nonetheless, so I'll throw together a full rip of Eye of the Beholder and upload it first thing tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll try and keep my eyes and ears open... maybe I'll find some way to extract the walls from II.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

Awesome. I support these EOB rips.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

To be fair, there probably won't be many walls. There are only a handful of wall themes in the game. From memory, they are red brick, grey stone (as per the above pic), dark red Drow rock, slimy green rock and a sort of magenta stripy wallpaper effect in the final level.

EOB2 has a few more themes. It has an external wooded area, a lower dungeon (like the green slimy rock but brown), an entrance hallway in beige brick/blocks, then 3 towers (silver, azure and crimson) with appropriately coloured walls. So I hope it will be possible to get them.

EOB3 has more again but I'm hazy on the details of that one. Although the game was pretty bad, some of the resources were nice.

But, yes, I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the rips. :)
Zero X. Diamond

[Textures] Eye of the Beholder Resources

Yeah, looks like the EOBII format for the walls is incredibly similar to the EOBI format, but the minor differences are enough to prevent extractors compatible with the first game from ripping the walls of the second. In the meantime, however, I've got an almost complete rip of Eye of the Beholder for you! The only things that are missing are the sound effects (which nobody will miss since they're all AdLib sounds), the music, and the game's fonts. The sound and music are stored in a file for which the only tool is only source code and the fonts won't rip with my program for some reason. Anyhow, with this you get:
  • Title screen + logos
  • HUD
  • 44 enemy sheets (22 VGA + 22 EGA)
  • 12 sprite sheets (7 VGA + 5 EGA)
  • 5 wall sets + decorations, doors & portals
A couple posts above can be found a sample of the walls. Below is a sample of the enemies and a download link.

Download: Eye of the Beholder Resources
Last edited by Zero X. Diamond on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Re: [Project] Zero's Resources - LATEST RIP: Eye of the Beholder

Post by Siggi »

There are some interesting differences between the some of the VGA sprites vs. their EGA counterparts.
For example, in SPRITES there are sprites in thrown_ega.png that are not in thrown.png.

Also, some of the EGA monsters have shadows, while the VGA versions don't. I wonder what motivated that decision.
Zero X. Diamond

I'd imagine the shadows are to help set out monsters from the backdrop. After all, when you've only got 16 colors to work with and your dungeon walls, floors and ceilings are likely all the same color, if you've got a monster that has a lot of the same colors it's gonna all kinda run together.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Cool! This is excellent stuff. Just what I wanted. Thank you very much. :biggrin:

I'd managed to get most of the sprites before with XWE but not all of them and the walls were just nowhere to be seen. I'm really happy to finally have them.

If you manage to get a chance to look at and figure out EOBII that would be excellent too but I really appreciate what you've done so far.
Zero X. Diamond

The closest I got with EOBII was a post on some Amiga forum saying that a guy was nearly finished with a viewer for the filetype in which EOB wall graphics were stored in that would work with all three of the games... unfortunately, that thread was about four years old and it appears that no working release of the actual program was ever made. Unfortunate...

Anyhow, I'm going to attempt to make a full rip of both Terminator: Future Shock and Terminator: SKYNet at the behest of a fellow on Doomworld who made a little EDGE demo wad of Terminator stuff using screenshot ripped weapons from those titles as well as music and the Terminator from my Rampage rip. I was so glad to see my stuff getting used that I jumped head first into it only to discover--much to my horror--that the files in Future Shock (and probably SKYNet, haven't checked them yet) are the same as Rampage's. The good news then is that I will be able to rip everything. The bad news is that it's going to take a massive amount of work on my part, moreso than with Rampage because now I have to do palette conversions of the graphics once they're ripped. Oh, and there's also waaaaaaay more of them. But yeah, the formats are the same (with the exception of the textures which now use .### as their extension [but they may just be renamed .SET files...]) so I should be able to do this.

Hopefully I'll see some more use out of my stuff while I'm working on that... it'd sure make it less grunt work seeing that I'm doing good for the community! :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:The closest I got with EOBII was a post on some Amiga forum...
That's a shame because I have all the other stuff (switches, sprites and so on) from XWE. It's just that I don't have any walls to paste them on to.

Never mind. I now have much more than I had before thanks to your efforts. :)
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Man Zero, you are a machine! Any chance you could consider Waxworks?. It does not use the same engine as EOB but it has similar gameplay. I'm not sure it's possible but I thought I'd ask.

Something to note about Powerslave is that the PC version is vastly different from the Saturn/Playstation. For a long time I thought the PC version was a port, but that wasn't the case. The PC version uses an entirely different engine - an older revision of the Build engine versus SlaveDriver for the Saturn - and has weapons and enemies that are either missing or different from the Saturn/PSX version. Try looking on youtube for examples.

I'm definitely not asking you to try and rip resources from the console versions of Powerslave. Console games have their hoops and challenges to go through. :)
Zero X. Diamond

Snarboo wrote:Man Zero, you are a machine! Any chance you could consider Waxworks?. It does not use the same engine as EOB but it has similar gameplay. I'm not sure it's possible but I thought I'd ask.
Looks to me like the game uses still images as opposed to some sort of renderer judging by the screenshots, but if I can find myself a copy I'll have a look for myself and make some kind of a determination.
Snarboo wrote:Something to note about Powerslave is that the PC version is vastly different from the Saturn/Playstation. For a long time I thought the PC version was a port, but that wasn't the case. The PC version uses an entirely different engine - an older revision of the Build engine versus SlaveDriver for the Saturn - and has weapons and enemies that are either missing or different from the Saturn/PSX version. Try looking on youtube for examples.
Yeah, I'm aware; I read the Wikipedia article as I was ripping it since I didn't know what to call the weapons. Had it not been on the Build engine, I probably wouldn't have been able to rip it so quickly!
Snarboo wrote:I'm definitely not asking you to try and rip resources from the console versions of Powerslave. Console games have their hoops and challenges to go through. :)
Oh man, I am aware. Honestly, both ends have their issues. Right now, I've got at least four rip projects that are on hold because either:

A: I know how to VIEW the graphics but don't know how to properly EXTRACT them.
B: I know WHERE the graphics are, but I can't view them because there's some kind of compression preventing me from doing so.
C: I cannot figure out for the life of me where the hell anything is and I'm scared and want to go home.

On the console front, I'm actually interested in both the Amiga and the 3DO. The Amiga had a few FPS games that had some pretty nice graphics--Gloom Deluxe, for example--but that one in particular must be using some kind of WICKED compression; while I managed to extract the data from the Amiga Disk Format files of the game, all the files are pretty damn small in size... the ones I assume are the graphics for stuff are mostly less than 2kb! The 3DO had a fairly crappy Demolition Man game that had an FPS segment or two from which I'd like to rip textures and weapons, but again, I don't even know where to start with that.

Any relevant information would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Oh, also (and this is VERY important to me): as I stated earlier, I've done my homework and the internal files for Terminator: Future Shock and SKYNet are the same formats as used in Terminator: Rampage. I do not want to have to do what I did to rip Rampage again. It took me three days and my wrist was sore for a long time afterward. However, I have source code that is relevant to the extraction and conversion of these image files courtesy of WinArena, the problem being that the actual program will only work in a functional Elder Scrolls: Arena folder from which it can extract the data in GLOBAL.BSA. However, the filetypes used by Arena and the Terminator FPS games are the same, so the code would work if it weren't for this limitation. Should somebody have the talent to make an extractor/converter from this, I can link the source. It's well commented (even a clueless shmuck like me understands what it's supposed to do from reading them) and was originally compiled with MS Visual C++ 7.1.

Return to “Resources”