Reincarnation of Evil - Remaking Doom 3/4 Content in 2

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
poot

Re: RoE Monster Pack - Beta released. First post

Post by poot »

well i'm most likely never going to finish this. maybe one day i'll do walking and death animations but who knows? if anyone wants to edit/finish it, you have my permission. i may one day return to finish off the basic animations and those who are good at "doomifying" the sprite look can fix it so it looks less cartoony. or just have your way with it. i wish i could be more helpful but i have to deal with too much these past couple of years and it's not looking good for the next couple years either. good luck with this project everyone.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

I just simultaneously expanded and narrowed the scope of this project a bit. First, I'm including Doom 4 monsters. Secondly, I'm cutting out monsters that already exist in Doom 2. There isn't much of a reason for me to remake the Mancubus from Doom 3 and Doom 4, for example. I'd prefer to stick to things that are actually somewhat new, so people can use them in their projects alongside existing monsters.

I'm also not aiming specifically to 100% recreate these monsters exactly as they behaved in Doom 3. I'd rather make things that are fun in Doom 2 and somewhat unique alongside existing monsters (either in function or theme), and if recreating Doom 3's Guardian or Maggot faithfully lets me do that then all the better, but I won't be afraid to take some liberties to make things fun.

If you would like to help, I'm letting you know outright that I'm refusing model rips unless they've been worked on and fit in Doom 2. If I'm going to look at Doom 3's models, it may as well be in Doom 3's renderer.

I'll fix the screenshots on the first post soon.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Good news at last! \ :D /

I'm sure they'll be great!
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Dug up some of the old pieces of the Bruiser. I'd need someone else to finish it, but I can get a decent chunk of it done.

scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Nice to see this being picked up again.

You can have my version of Sabaoth if you want it.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

scalliano wrote:You can have my version of Sabaoth if you want it.
Ah, yeah, I forgot that had a set made.

Also, started adding sets of reference screenshots to the first post, to illustrate exactly how they look. As of this post, only the Bruiser's up, but I'll be adding more.

Edit: More up.
NullWire

Re: Reincarnation of Evil Monster Pack - Overhauled

Post by NullWire »

great I only need the Chaoscentral guns with the ssg and the grenades to enjoy this
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Putting down some thoughts on monster behavior here to put them on paper and assure you guys that there aren't going to be six or seven melee-only things because Doom 3.

- I might cut the ZSec (pistol, shotgun and machinegun variants) from the lineup, despite them already being finished. They don't really do anything alongside the existing zombies from Doom 1. That said, though, the pistol/shield variant actually might be interesting. I could rework the machinegun variant a little so it's different enough from the chaingunner. If I do cut them from this pack, I'll make sure they're still easily found (probably on R667) for people who want to replace Doom's existing zombies with them.
- Changing the Trite a bit from the beta. Making it weaker, making it smaller and making it quieter. If you want to throw a cheap swarm at the player, that's it.
- Tick is going to be a kamikaze. A long while ago (back before I had Doom 3), some people told me it exploded at you for damage. Turns out it attacks just like the Trite. There really aren't any kamikazes in the standard Doom lineup, and this could work pretty well at it.
- Cherub will fly, dodge to the side occasionally (kind of like A_FastChase, but A_FastChase does hilarious things with flying monsters) and have a short-range dash. In smaller areas, they should be the swarmers that Lost Souls don't do so well at being.
- I'll probably make the Bruiser behave a bit more like the Mancubus from Doom 4. Better as turrets than Doom 2's Mancubi, with a short-range flamethrower attack.
- Guardian won't have the sight gimmick. I tried it ages ago and got it working to a degree (would probably be much easier now), but player speed in the original Doom is WAY too fast to make it work as well as it did in Doom 3 (such as it was). Instead, it'll spawn some amount of Seekers as backup, up to a cap, which will all die when he does.
- Gore Nest will be a turret that constantly spawns lower-level monsters until killed. I'll have to play around with how commonly it does that, since it won't have an attack.
- Hell Razer will be a mix between Doom 4's Possessed Trooper and the actual Hell Razer (burst of projectiles, charges up to do that beam, which'll probably be a burst of fast projectiles).
- Summoner will behave quite similarly to how it does in Doom 4. Teleport around, quick projectile attack, summon low-level reinforcements.
- Prowler will be some kind of stealth monster. Besides the Spectre, Doom doesn't really have too many good stealth monsters.

Also, took a look at Scalliano's Sabaoth. It's a good base, but I think it needs a little touching up so it doesn't look like the Former Sergeant and Duke3d's tank. I'm also dreading writing its Decorate, since the original Sabaoth moves around as it attacks and that probably wouldn't work here. I'll need to re-think its attack as well; the player's original BFG blast does way too much damage, the BFG spray makes it way too vulnerable to infighting and single-projectile attacks are way too easy to dodge otherwise.

By the way, would anyone be willing to provide me with a dump of Doom 4's sound files? I've heard horror stories about how they're organized but I'd still like to take a crack at it.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Sounds like the perfect complement for the upcoming Doom 2016 mods!
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

yeet
Last edited by XLightningStormL on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leviathan
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Leviathan »

Since nobody made a zombie scientist i create one

Original sprite created by Captain J
Attachments
Zombie Civilian Scientist
Zombie Civilian Scientist
scientistzombie.png (1.4 KiB) Viewed 1920 times
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

XLightningStormL wrote:Can you make a Possessed Engineer too? To be honest, Doom (Classic) lacked non-security/soldier Possessed/Fodder Humans, no point for the Unwilling since they are already on a ZombieFodder forum post on R667, and there's already numerous Scientist Zombie things out there.
I'd love multiple variants, if at all possible. Engineer, hazmat, things like that. Only reason I listed the hazmat zombie separately is because I could put together a pickup for something like the toxic waste run in Doom 3: RoE for people to use, if they wanted.
theundeadsoldier wrote:Since nobody made a zombie scientist i create one
Got a full sprite set? Can't really do much with one sprite. :P
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Nice to see this going again :)
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

So for the boss-types:

- Vagary will be quite a bit weaker than the vanilla bosses (Around 1400 health, probably), but will move around a bit faster. It won't have the telekinesis attack (that would just be throwing randomly-angled projectiles from random offsets anyway), but I'll have to think of something unique to replace it.
- Helltime Hunter will teleport around, probably the same way the Summoners will. He'll also fly (Doom has a lack of flying bosses) and have a variety of projectile attacks.
- Berzerk Hunter will have his two modes, if I can get sprites for that. If someone only wants to sprite one mode, definitely do the powered-up mode since it's a lot more visually interesting. I'm not totally sure about its behavior in either mode, but this'll probably be my experiment to see how/if melee-focused boss-types can work.
- Invul Hunter will have the Halo-style shield mechanic I've been working on, and some different attacks.
- Maledict is tricky. I'll probably do two versions; one with the Death Wyvern's kind of movement and one without.
- Kinda lost on what the Hell Guard would do. The three in Doom 4 seemed really random, with weird spinning attacks and stuff like that. They seemed straight out of Sonic the Hedgehog.

I have a ton of ideas for projectile attacks so the projectile-based ones shouldn't all overlap too much.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Hi ghastly_dragon

just for curiosity... did you notice this recent beast I added on realm667? Would be it a thing for this project? yeah I just only did very few edits to original Eriance/yura sprites but I worked good with the decorate indeed. 8-)

Return to “Resources”