flat Blood's voxels

flat Blood's voxels

Postby s60416 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:58 am

I reinstalled Windows on my PC, after that all the voxels in Blood look like flat panels now.Anyone knows how to fix this ?
s60416

Re: flat Blood's voxels

Postby Enjay » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:12 am

This is probably relevant: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73014
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby s60416 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:26 am

That's exactly how the voxels look like on my pc! I tried playing in Vulkan mode,while the voxel's shapes look normal,the game's color messed up like lilith mod...guess I'll try install an older version graphic card driver
s60416

Postby Nash » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:55 am

Short answer: use Vulkan, or downgrade your AMD driver to either 21.3.1 or 21.5.2 (these are versions known to "fix" it). Downgrading is highly not recommended. Vulkan would be preferable.
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby s60416 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:29 pm

I tried Vulkan mode,but the colors are all messed up ,so I downgraded my driver back to 21.5.2 and it works fine again.Thanks guys
s60416

Postby Rachael » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:53 pm

How are the colors messed up? Do you have a screenshot? What are your settings? Can you post your INI?
Rachael
^ walking stack of unfinished projects ^
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby s60416 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:01 pm

Rachael wrote:How are the colors messed up? Do you have a screenshot? What are your settings? Can you post your INI?

screenshots(sorry, I don't know how to upload images here):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/K1ENQkfpKMZGZTN77
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dCXT3YD639CCnhgX8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nwW3hEWpzE8irC789

my settings are all default except texture filter mode is set to none
ini:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hM4mqS ... sp=sharing
s60416

Postby Rachael » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:31 pm

Alright, so, I thought I fixed that bug. But clearly, I haven't fixed all instances of it, and I couldn't even begin to tell you what else might be wrong. The last fix was because the pixel format was incorrect between the texture output to the screen buffer. With your INI though I get the problem so at least I have some way to find and fix this thing. I just have to figure out what setting you have that causes this.

I'm glad the older drivers work for you. I wish there was something else that worked better.

You can try OpenGLES - it has a different set of shaders that it compiles that seems to not trip up the AMD drivers, but, it's less than ideal to play on a backend that was made for older machines, as the AMD cards that are affected by these bugs clearly are not that.

If you're happy playing using 6-month-old AMD drivers though and don't have any need to upgrade them, then you should be fine with them for now.
Rachael
Admin

Postby Nash » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:46 pm

In addition to what Rachael said - one thing to keep in mind is that OpenGLES' rendering features are not 100% caught up with OpenGL's or Vulkan's, so some visual flair will be missing. Stuff like shaders, shadowmaps, materials, SSAO, things like that. That backend is maintained by a separate person (the author of Delta Touch) so it is up to him to do any work on that backend. Generally speaking though, there are good reasons why features get removed like that - the whole point of OpenGLES is so that it could be fast and run on older hardware, and arguably reintroducing the full visual features into OpenGLES would most likely just make the renderer slow again.
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Rachael » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:52 pm

Alright I found the setting - it's gl_multisample. Mine was set to 4 which seemed to eliminate the dots. ("testnewrenderer" also eliminates it by virtue of just using a different renderer)

I'll see if I can fix this but it's operating on the old render path so it might be deprecated at this point, anyhow.
Rachael
Admin

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:14 am

Makes me wonder if it's related to this: https://github.com/coelckers/Raze/issues/508

That Polymost renderer surely has its share of weird issues, but I have no idea why it does not like the GZDoom approach to handling voxels.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby s60416 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:25 am

I'm totally Ok with using an old driver,my RX470 is an old card and I've been using last year's driver until yesterday.
s60416

Postby Rachael » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:56 am

Graf Zahl wrote:Makes me wonder if it's related to this: https://github.com/coelckers/Raze/issues/508

That Polymost renderer surely has its share of weird issues, but I have no idea why it does not like the GZDoom approach to handling voxels.

I'm almost completely sure that it's unrelated. The original issue as you know, is related to the vertex shader compiler breaking on recent AMD driver versions. The issue after that with Vulkan is related to how the colour outputs are placed on the screen buffer texture. When compositing with polymost on AMD with Vulkan, what happens is some of the vector components for the colours are coming up as NANs which is causing the "snow" appearance. The effects of that are colours which are completely black or completely white in certain channels but cannot have math done on them (i.e. they show through transparent texture overlays, such as the console texture).

The issue you linked seems to have more to do with the vertex position and precision errors relating to that during its 2D projection calculations.
Rachael
Admin

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:19 am

The link wasn't the 'flat' voxels but the voxel bleeding artifacts. This is also something that *should* not happen, but somehow Polymost's math manages to get things terribly wrong.
Graf Zahl

Postby Rachael » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:21 am

Yeah - I think these are precision errors. It has nothing to do with either of the other two issues.
Rachael
Admin

Return to General