Pondering about deposterisation filter

Re: Pondering about deposterisation filter

Postby Rachael » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:24 pm

mjr4077au wrote:I think his message is fine, but the delivery could have been softer. Graf has said that previously that he wants to make the port his own and do his own thing and I think you either need to be onboard with that or not. You really might as well use EDuke32 if you want it look and feel exactly like EDuke32.

Credit where its given though, he's putting considerable effort into making the GZDoom backend handle palette emulation even though I'm sure he doesn't play with it himself. So while he does want to make it his own, he's still considering the broader audience.

I perfectly understand where Graf is coming from but sometimes being abrasive has caused him so many difficulties in the past, and that's not something that's ever going to change if he's not going to change.

Don't get me wrong - me, personally, I like Raze, and I like where it is going. I still also like palette emulation, though, and me saying that is not meant to be an affront to Graf (nor is it meant to be when Nash says it), it's just expressing a preference. Do I play with palette emulation? Honestly - usually, no. But I do turn it on sometimes.

I don't think Graf is terrible, the worst person in the world, <insert pretty much any Doomworld adjective here they use to describe him>, or anything like that. In fact I think he's a great person - just flawed. And yes, I can say that while criticizing him - some people don't seem to understand that you can criticize something or someone you like, and I find that really frustrating. All I am saying is - when you attack people who've helped you in the past, especially publicly, don't be surprised when they leave you and you become a one man army begging for help. I think GZDoom and Raze would be in so much of a better place if he could find a way to deal with his frustrations and stances other than to instinctively go with a verbal assault.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby mjr4077au » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:47 pm

I fully concur and did in my post you're replying to, even if it looked like I was countering you. I'm particularly sensitive to how anything targeted to an end user is written as I'm responsible for Service Delivery within the ICT Department at work. While I realise this is the internet and anything goes, if any of my team replied to end users in a similar fashion they'd be bought in for a formal warning.

I completely understand that you can praise and criticise someone or something, that's par for the course when managing personnel at the office. The fact that you understand that, which shows in the neutral, logical and fair approach you take to moderating on the forums, is a rare thing and something I respect and admire. If you were in Australia, I'd probably hire you without even an interview for the Service Delivery Manager role purely based on what I've seen of you.
mjr4077au

Discord: mjr4077au#1027
Github ID: mjr4077au

Postby Rachael » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:07 pm

Oh wow, thank you. That's very kind of you to say.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby mjr4077au » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:29 pm

Just the truth, and in no way a suck up or anything like that. Everyone hears the criticism, but hardly ever the praise. Anyhow, hopefully today is a better day for Graf and we can put yesterday behind us :)
mjr4077au

Discord: mjr4077au#1027
Github ID: mjr4077au

Previous

Return to General