What's the deal with Redneck Rampage?

Re: What's the deal with Redneck Rampage?

Postby Nash » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:29 am

My reasons are pretty much the same as Enjay's. Right down to the not "getting" the redneck part and also (especially for me) the art style - the sprite renders are too high res that they clearly reveal the sub-par modeling work, and the really high resolution level textures just doesn't mesh well with the simple line-style geometry common in classic game engines like these. The game's art assets remind me of Tekwar (except not as badly done).

The real reason I didn't play this back in the day however was because my attention was already turned to other 3D games at the time - Quake, the Nintendo 64 and Playstation, etc... the whole "sprite-based 3D shooter" thing felt outdated by then. Of course the irony is here I am now in 2020 still playing and modding pixelated sprite-based shooters... :mrgreen:

I've been meaning to give RR another fair pass as soon as I have some free time and if there's a sale - going to play it with Raze of course, because in 2020 I wouldn't settle with crummy mouse code from the 90's... :mrgreen:
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Enjay » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:03 am

It seems that we fully concur about RR. I agree with all of the points that you made about the game that I hadn't already said, particularly the look of the sprites. The hi-res nature of them really exposes the 90's POV-Ray-like appearance of them and (IMO) that was always a look limited by technology that would get better sooner or later (as indeed it did).

The paragraph about other 3D games certainly rings true. RR came out the same year as Quake II (I think). Quake had come out the year before and Half-Life, Unreal etc were just around the corner. Many people consider that Strife was too late (to be fair, partly because of the dominance of Build games by that point) but RR was released almost a year after Strife I think.

Don't get me wrong, I don't actively dislike RR or anything and I'm certainly not "hating" on it. It's just not a game that "speaks to me" and I don't really see anything in it to get me enthusiastic about investing time and effort in it. Maybe I'll give it a better go at some point though.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:23 am

And yet... Aren't we all here because we still play a game that's even more limited... ;

RR was the last good one of its kind.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Phredreeke » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:44 am

Last good what? 2.5D FPS?

I assume you're talking about RRRA, because Blood came out after the first RR. :P
Phredreeke

Discord: phredreeke#6500

Postby sinisterseed » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:30 pm

And well, with the recent revival of retro shooters, it's definitely not the last, nor is it going to be :p .

BTW I've started calling these games "2.9D" honestly, I feel it's somewhat more accurate.
sinisterseed
GZDoom RO Translator & Raze Tester

Twitch ID: sixhundredsixteen
Github ID: sinisterseed
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Enjay » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:23 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:And yet... Aren't we all here because we still play a game that's even more limited... ;

Indeed, the irony that Nash pointed out is strong.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:10 pm

lowskill. wrote:And well, with the recent revival of retro shooters, it's definitely not the last, nor is it going to be :p .

I didn't mean the last 2.5D shooter but the last title by a major publisher based on 2.5D tech. And yes, surely RRRA.
Obviously it has even been eclipsed by some more modern ZDoom mods.
Graf Zahl

Postby Blzut3 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:Well, you got to - gasp! - find yet another key, of course! One thing about RR is that you sometimes have to take unusual paths to clear the objective (e.g. vents and ducts are not just secrets but sometimes necessary to progress.)

If you've watch anyone that doesn't normally play these older games, play these older games, it's amazing how easily people get lost or ignore the most obvious secrets. So if the game expects people to be observant I imagine many people would give up on it.
Graf Zahl wrote:Ha, ha. Yes, that can happen if you do not read the manual.

So it made the same mistake as ET for the 2600? :P Also clear violation of the "users don't read anything" rule.

Having not played the games I can't really comment, but your own posts seem to suggest that the games kind of fall into the same trap as Hexen. Where the game is great fun if you just happen to know how to play it, otherwise you're probably not going to understand why anyone likes it as you spend hours running in circles. The other things said here certainly didn't help I'm sure.
Blzut3
Pronounced: B-l-zut

Github ID: Blzut3
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby axredneck » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:47 pm

I like it's level design with multi-stored buildings, i like it's characters and enemies, i like it's lore, i like it's weapons, i like it's "HD of 90s" textures. My nickname here is Ax Redneck.
Half-life 1 reminds me of Redneck Rampage, not vice versa.
@Graf, did you have problems with that key in a shooting range in Flea Market level too?
axredneck
excuse me for my bad English

Github ID: axredneck
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:06 pm

No, when I played it two days ago I was able to pick it up.
Graf Zahl

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:12 pm

Blzut3 wrote:Having not played the games I can't really comment, but your own posts seem to suggest that the games kind of fall into the same trap as Hexen. Where the game is great fun if you just happen to know how to play it, otherwise you're probably not going to understand why anyone likes it as you spend hours running in circles. The other things said here certainly didn't help I'm sure.

It's not like Hexen where you have to figure out obtuse switch puzzles with insufficient information.
But one thing about RR that is important is: Carefully watch your environment. Like I said: Ducts and vents are not just there for decoration, and neither are conveyor belts or sometimes open windows you have to jump through.

While talking about that let's not forget that both Doom 1 and 2 have one place each where the reqired progession is very unintuitive as well - the secret teleporter in E3M6 and the red key switch in MAP15. RR doesn't really get worse than these two.
Graf Zahl

Postby sinisterseed » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:27 am

Doom 64 also had a cryptic moment in one of the secret levels... was it Outpost Omega?

The red key is accessible only after pressing a panel at the beginning, but the game barely makes even a subtle hint that the said panel is usable, so it's easy to assume the key simply went MIA in the level.

As for Hexen... honestly I think the cryptic nature of its puzzles is heavily overrated - and this is coming from someone who has no sense of direction and gets lost in maps all the time. If I can find my way through it surely isn't THAT bad. There are a few unintuitive moments later in the game though (there's a level where you have to lower the water level to gain access to a warp switch, but the game offers no indications that the switch responsible for this actually did something, so you're left with running around until you eventually come across it), but that's as bad as it ever gets.

Hexen 2 had more clues compared to the first, but not even that helps on many occasions - the castle maps of this game are an absolute nightmare. I had to constantly check videos in this game, otherwise I was never going to make it through... The Egyptian hub also had an annoying puzzle - the Wheel of Ages. Good luck figuring that out without any knowledge. I don't know how people played this game at the time...
sinisterseed

Postby Phredreeke » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:50 am

lowskill. wrote:Doom 64 also had a cryptic moment in one of the secret levels... was it Outpost Omega?

The red key is accessible only after pressing a panel at the beginning, but the game barely makes even a subtle hint that the said panel is usable, so it's easy to assume the key simply went MIA in the level.

Yeah but that's for an optional weapon upgrade. Most of RR's cryptic moments have to be solved to finish the game.
Phredreeke

Discord: phredreeke#6500

Postby sinisterseed » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:54 am

Phredreeke wrote:
lowskill. wrote:Doom 64 also had a cryptic moment in one of the secret levels... was it Outpost Omega?

Yeah but that's for an optional weapon upgrade. Most of RR's cryptic moments have to be solved to finish the game.

Maybe so, but that's the whole purpose of the map - the Demon Key.

There's no point in visiting these maps if you don't pick up the upgrades.
sinisterseed

Postby Gez » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:19 am

lowskill. wrote:As for Hexen... honestly I think the cryptic nature of its puzzles is heavily overrated - and this is coming from someone who has no sense of direction and gets lost in maps all the time. If I can find my way through it surely isn't THAT bad. There are a few unintuitive moments later in the game though (there's a level where you have to lower the water level to gain access to a warp switch, but the game offers no indications that the switch responsible for this actually did something, so you're left with running around until you eventually come across it), but that's as bad as it ever gets.

The worst part of Hexen is the Guardian of Steel polyobject puzzles. You've got to find out that the switches in the rooms at the end of the stairways are for moving the polyobjects blocking the paths around the serpent cages. The thing is that you need to visit both sides, so they have to be set to both positions.
Gez

PreviousNext

Return to General