I just tried to play NAM

Re: I just tried to play NAM

Postby Nash » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:40 am

So... people have been selling asset flips even way before the existence of the Unreal and Unity marketplace! :mrgreen:
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:01 am

Remember that NAM started out as a Duke TC, not a commercial game.
Those borrowed textures did not bother me - the poor and uninspired gameplay and the bad level design did.

I did some checkout of WW2GI yesterday evening as well. While the level design and the assets are definitely a step up from NAM, the game itself isn't. The level design is still mediocre and the main problem remains - open areas with lots and lots of (respawning) hitscan enemies with little to no variation in behavior and a resulting ridiculous difficulty. Due to the setting I was constantly reminded of Enjay's two war mods and how much better they are - both because Doom's monster AI is a lot more dynamic than Duke's and of course due to fundamentally better design.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Gez » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:00 am

Caligari87 wrote:And that's not even mentioning Al-Qaeda's very own texture-swap spinoff, Night of Bush Capturing!

8-)

That one isn't a Build engine "game".
Gez

Postby Redneckerz » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:13 am

Graf Zahl wrote:I did some checkout of WW2GI yesterday evening as well. While the level design and the assets are definitely a step up from NAM, the game itself isn't. The level design is still mediocre and the main problem remains - open areas with lots and lots of (respawning) hitscan enemies with little to no variation in behavior and a resulting ridiculous difficulty. Due to the setting I was constantly reminded of Enjay's two war mods and how much better they are - both because Doom's monster AI is a lot more dynamic than Duke's and of course due to fundamentally better design.

WW2 GI in particular is infamous for one thing - It essentially paved the way of the ''low budget shooter'' that would become apparent in the earlier 2000's, often made by City Interactive. Stuff like Wolfschanze, Urban Mercenary, Army in Mogadishu, The Hell In Vietnam, Team Factor and the Unreal Engine based war games from Groove Games - You will find that they all harbor back to WW2 GI in a way.

Published in the same year Quake 3 came out, WW2 GI is quite the epitomy of low budget - Using an engine atleast two generations apart from the standard, and even running under an OS when most were either doing Windows 2000, the forthcoming XP or the godawful Windows ME (That was DOS based), it was essentially a relic in a time of 3D acceleration.

For that reason alone i find it an interesting release, but NAM and WW2GI are definitely low budget tier titles. Atleast not as bad as Extreme Paintbrawl. :wink:
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:55 am

Like I said, my problem is not the engine, not their low budget and not even the fact that they are war games - my problem here is simply the fact that the gameplay sucks. If there is one thing that's abundantly clear with the Duke3D engine is that it only works reasonably well when managing tightly constrained environments, otherwise one can see the AI logic puking all over the place. and these games feature some larger open areas where the weak AI can show off its worst quirks and problems. And let's make this clear again: I did not say "Build", I said "Duke"!
Graf Zahl

Postby MartinHowe » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:48 am

I actually played through 'Saddam' and 'Al Quaeda',just for lulz some years ago. They are more funny that anything else :)
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:02 am

You mean unintentionally funny, don't you?
Graf Zahl

Postby mjr4077au » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:57 pm

I got it years ago as a gift (hello, big spender) and thought I'd give it a go. Played part of the first level, died because my M16 which replaces Duke's pistol decided it needed to reload midway through the action.

You can't reload it yourself at a convenient time, the real gun holds 30 rounds in the magazine. It really is just a Duke TC. At that point, I rage-quit hahaha.
mjr4077au

Discord: mjr4077au#1027
Github ID: mjr4077au
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Cherno » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:16 pm

Well, to be fair, the first versions of the magazines around that time, which are seen on the sprite, held only 20 (and were commonly loaded with even less rounds due to faulty springs).

I am a bit ashamed to admit that NAM is one of my guilty pleasures. The gameplay is rubbish for the most part, with the hitscanners, random artillery and airstrikes, and landmines scattered throughout the levels. However, I think they realized a dense jungle environment quite perfect taking into account the Build engine's capabilities and the small team and budget. There are also a bunch of Predator references, which is cool. It is probably in my top ten list of games I have played through the most... I even completed all the fireteam mission in coop!

Toitataan!
Cherno

Postby MartinHowe » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:25 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:You mean unintentionally funny, don't you?

Yep!
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Postby mjr4077au » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:26 pm

Cherno wrote:Well, to be fair, the first versions of the magazines around that time, which are seen on the sprite, held only 20 (and were commonly loaded with even less rounds due to faulty springs).

I am a bit ashamed to admit that NAM is one of my guilty pleasures. The gameplay is rubbish for the most part, with the hitscanners, random artillery and airstrikes, and landmines scattered throughout the levels. However, I think they realized a dense jungle environment quite perfect taking into account the Build engine's capabilities and the small team and budget. There are also a bunch of Predator references, which is cool. It is probably in my top ten list of games I have played through the most... I even completed all the fireteam mission in coop!

Toitataan!

You're right about the magazine capacity, I stand corrected on that. Learn something new every day haha.

Maybe I'll give it another bash, but I do wish I could reload the weapon at a time convenient for me. I suppose I could code it in via a CON script :wink:
mjr4077au

Discord: mjr4077au#1027
Github ID: mjr4077au

Postby PlayerLin » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:29 am

NAM(Platoon TC) and WW2GI just proved these kinds of game didn't work well with sloppy designs and Duke3D game code...

I only remembered I had to cheat through the whole game and never tried again, yeah I know I should lower difficulty but like Graf said, the shitty gameplay just can't fixed by that...too bad. :(
PlayerLin

Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:40 am

I already played on the lowest difficulty after realizing of nasty those hitscan enemies are - to no avail. I constantly had to cheat to replenish my health because no equipment and no medic was anywhere to be found. What ultimately killed the game was the utterly confusing design of NAM's E1L6 and E1L7 where, in order to proceed you had to find some areas that'd qualify as secrets in any decently designed game. Combine that with respawning enemies and you got a deadly combination. The levels themselves also lacked any kind of complexity. It was either "run down a linear path from start to end while under a constant barrage of enemy fire and friendly air raids" or "find the hidden switches to unlock the exit". Yuck!
Graf Zahl

Postby Cherno » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:56 am

When I heard enemies shooting at me from the jungle, I used the M60 to spray the area (especially useful against these sneaky snipers). I also used it as a light source in the night missions. The hidden path to the third crate in the second campaign is indeed weird, I think I never found it in my first few playthroughs. The enemies don't really respawn I think, but there are lots of situations where new ones spawn in areas you have cleared previously.
Cherno

Postby StroggVorbis » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:35 am

Just play Heart of Evil for Half-Life. The original, not the Napalm Edition :P
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Discord: StroggVorbis#2466

PreviousNext

Return to General