Running Raze on Chromebook Debian

Dwailing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Running Raze on Chromebook Debian

Post by Dwailing »

Hey folks, so I'm currently trying to get Raze to work on my Chromebook in the Debian shell and it's... not going well. The GZDoom package that's available for download on zdoom.org works just fine, so I'm assuming Raze should work and I'm just missing a few of the in-between steps that ChromeOS's Linux installer would do automatically.

First off, I've put all the files in the /opt/raze directory, mirroring what the installer did with GZDoom. Then I set the included "raze" file to be an executable via:

sudo chmod +x raze

Now when I try to run this executable using the ./raze command I get:

./raze: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Naturally, this sent me to search for libjpeg, and I didn't find libjpeg8 but I did find a package called "libjpeg62-turbo" which is already installed on my system. I'm stumped at this point because I'm still fairly new to the Linux shell, but I'd like to be able to make this work and I'd appreciate any help you can give me.
Manuel-K

Re: Running Raze on Chromebook Debian

Post by Manuel-K »

"libjpeg62-turbo" contains libjpeg.so.62 and that has a different ABI than libjpeg.so.8, so they are incompatible. Since raze should automatically search for libraries in the folder that contains its binary, you can probably take the library from the debian package (https://packages.debian.org/sid/libjpeg8) and just extract the so file. Debian packages are compressed archives that contain several archives. One of them is called data.* and that contains what you want.

Edit: That package seems to be ARM only, that's unfortunate.

The Arch version (https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extr ... peg-turbo/) should work as well, although that one might be too new.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you got problems with libjpeg, activate the one provided with the source in the CMake project.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I think he might be using my precompiled binary - and if he is, then yeah you'd need a systemwide libjpeg8 because my cmake finds mine and will use it.

Needless to say, using Chrome OS is such an esoteric setup that I had not considered it in building the binary, and therefore should be considered unsupported as far as the binary goes. I don't know what kind of help I can offer you short of forcing CMake to use the internal library in future builds.

TBH I would just find a system that has the horsepower to compile the binary completely for ChromeOS or ... just let it sit while you're away from the system for an hour or two while it builds on that one. I'm not quite sure how to build it, my best guess is it would be similar to Debian.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I wouldn't even consider compiling a binary Linux release against the system's libjpeg - the library is far too unreliable. You can do that when solely building for your own setup.
Dwailing

Post by Dwailing »

I ended up compiling from source. That seems to work just fine. I'm wondering what the package for GZDoom does when it's installing that's different from Raze...

Edit: Yes, to confirm, I was trying to use Rachel's precompiled binaries.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

When the next version comes out I'll force it to use all internal libraries.
Dwailing

Post by Dwailing »

Rachael wrote:I think he might be using my precompiled binary - and if he is, then yeah you'd need a systemwide libjpeg8 because my cmake finds mine and will use it.

Needless to say, using Chrome OS is such an esoteric setup that I had not considered it in building the binary, and therefore should be considered unsupported as far as the binary goes. I don't know what kind of help I can offer you short of forcing CMake to use the internal library in future builds.

TBH I would just find a system that has the horsepower to compile the binary completely for ChromeOS or ... just let it sit while you're away from the system for an hour or two while it builds on that one. I'm not quite sure how to build it, my best guess is it would be similar to Debian.
I followed your guide for compiling on Raspberry Pi and it worked that way.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Cool, thanks for letting me know. That is useful information. :)

Return to “General”