Releases

Re: Releases

Postby Redneckerz » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:06 pm

Manuel-K wrote:I'm thinking about buying World Tour as its currently 2 € at Humble, but I'm weary of giving Randy any money.

Of that 2, a portion will go to Humble (i assume) and possibly other factors.

I am not going to make educated guesses about your financial situation, but if you have doubts on spending half of that 2 euros to Randy, then perhaps re-assess the positives and the negatives.

Saying ''Randy Pitchford'' is a compelling argument, but i am not so sure if its that compelling with that kind of money. Randy is also not the sole employee of Gearbox, so in that sense, think of it as supporting those artists that made World Tour come to reality. :)
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Gez » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:43 pm

If I were told that Lee Jackson and Bobby Prince each have a guaranteed $1.5 royalty per copy sold, then yes, I'd be convinced to buy for 2€.
Gez

Postby Master O » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:47 am

Gez wrote:If I were told that Lee Jackson and Bobby Prince each have a guaranteed $1.5 royalty per copy sold, then yes, I'd be convinced to buy for 2€.

In addition to that, having it re-instated on GOG as well.
Master O

Postby MartinHowe » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:39 pm

Isn't Bobby Prince still suing Gearbox over the tracks he did for the original DN3D? I guess that won't happen then :(
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:18 pm

Since there's not been much visible progress here recently a short status update is in order.
Over the last few weeks I made adjustments to run Raze on the full GZDoom backend code so that it can use the renderer as-is - the current version was heavily stripped down to get things going. I just reached one important milestone: The platform backend code, i.e. input and window system integration is now 100% identical in both - which was a necessary first step to integrate the full rendering backend. Unfortunately, due to the transitional state this is nowhere near releasable because due to the incomplete renderer some things are simply not working until more code gets ported. But the goal is definitely getting closer now.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby mjr4077au » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:25 pm

I must admit, I've been watching the repositories like a hawk. Knew this was coming along and I'm glad it's now reached a milestone point :D.

Does this mean at some point each repository won't have a cloned copy of the backend code, but be an external library like ZMusic? I imagine performing changes in two places would be annoying to maintain and will lead to inconsistencies occurring.

Will we also see these changes be pushed in anytime soon, irrespective of playability or are you going to keep them local until the rendering is more usable? Just excited to get my hand in the cookie jar haha.
mjr4077au

Discord: mjr4077au#1027
Github ID: mjr4077au
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:58 pm

I think long term the best approach would be to handle it and ZMusic as submodules in Git, but for the time being it will all remain where it is, there's still a lot of stuff to do to clean the rendering code from its game engine dependencies and separate these two layers entirely.

I can push my work branch over the weekend, it needs a bit of cleanup first. But let me tell you now that it's not really usable and quite a bit broken - and I'm not planning to fix these issues before the render backend is connected - it'd be wasted work.
Graf Zahl

Postby mjr4077au » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:03 pm

I'm mostly interested in seeing the changes as they unfold from an educational standpoint. If you want to push a work branch, that'd be awesome but will leave it up to you to do what you think is best for the moment :)
mjr4077au

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:08 am

Like I said, it's a bit in a messy state right now, let me do a little bit of cleanup first and consolidate all those safety commits to something more organized.
Graf Zahl

Postby mjr4077au » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:17 am

No problems at all :)
mjr4077au

Postby Master O » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:Like I said, it's a bit in a messy state right now, let me do a little bit of cleanup first and consolidate all those safety commits to something more organized.

That would explain no new commits since April 15th...
Master O

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:28 pm

I did most of the backend cleanup on GZDoom - that mainly involves untangling shareable backend code from game specific handling. With Raze I only made sure that it still compiles and can start the game. I'm going to piece things together once I have the full working backend at my disposal - I'm getting close to it but the remaining code is rather messed up on the GZDoom side and will require careful and gradual work to clean it up sufficiently.
Graf Zahl

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:25 pm

I just finished adding the backend code to Raze - it compiles with the Vulkan and Softpoly backends included, obviously it doesn't run with them yet - the next and most important step will be to connect the Polymost output with the actual backends.

I decided to push the current state to Github but let me repeat the warning: The code is not production ready, it is very buggy right now and still needs a lot of work to be usable.
But now I have the engine in a state where I actually can start trying out the things I wanted to do with Raze from the start.
One note: The entire ZScript compiler is also in here, but for now it's not meant to compile game code - I need it for setting up a status bar and menu implementation that uses a more modern setup than what's currently there. I currently have no really good idea how to expose this for modding and it's of very low priority.
Graf Zahl

Postby Rachael » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:34 pm

Maybe for now (and until further notice) it can be opened for UI only modifications? Which might be enough for some folks.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:02 pm

Right now it isn't connected to anything, there's still a lot of work to do here, but yes, it's primarily the 2D stuff where I want to put it to use as a first thing.
Graf Zahl

PreviousNext

Return to General