Widescreen modding?

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Widescreen modding?

Post by Graf Zahl »

Either cropped or overdrawn. I think it clears the sides of the screen but doesn't check the image's size.
Dzierzan

Post by Dzierzan »

If you want to use my widescreen sprites, you can use them. My work can be found in PowerslaveGDX (weapons and widescreened HUD), in RedneckGDX (one of crossbow frames, boat and motorcycle, one for Rake-blade). Just open BuildGDX.jar with 7zip or winrar to get those pngs. I've also done widescreen guns for Legend of 7 Paladins, but I doubt you want to port that too. If you need exactly which frames (pic nums) were modified, don't hesitate to ask.

I dunno what's the legal status, but Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition had widescreened sprites, presumably done by one of eduke32 guys. So you should ask around to get permission.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by sinisterseed »

This is going to be yet another thing I will no longer be able to unsee but, what widescreen weapon sprites were made for Duke? I'll be damned if I know...

Status bar and new menus as seen in Redux and Megaton don't count, that's painfully obvious :p.
Phredreeke

Post by Phredreeke »

These are the widescreen weapon sprites included with DukeGDX (which I believe are sourced from Megaton Edition)
dukegdx-wssprites.png
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I believe the RPG sprite was originally created for a cancelled mobile port by Voidpoint. It's also used in World Tour. The Megaton Edition sprite is less polished:

On the topic, this was Voidpoint's take on the Freezethrower firing sprite. I believe Hendricks posted it on Duke4 at some point after the cancellation. It's been a few glasses since then, so I forget the details.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Phredreeke wrote:These are the widescreen weapon sprites included with DukeGDX (which I believe are sourced from Megaton Edition)
dukegdx-wssprites.png
Wait a moment, are these sprites actually farther away from the screen while playing too?

That would explain a lot. Huh, and all this time I though they were farther from the screen because their offsets were hacked.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but, what's the license for these exactly?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Well, I'd really perfer if someone with a better overview collected everything that is readily usable (with credit to the author, please) and make a list of what isn't and who needs to be asked. If I had to spend time on this I can't use that time to fix bugs...
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Also, if some of these are used in commercial products adding them to Raze is not going to be easy, if at all possible... too much trouble to go through...
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If they are used in a commercial product does not matter, what matters is if the creator is ok with it. If the creator is part of a commercial entity, yes then you are right.
Gammli

Post by Gammli »

lowskill. wrote:
Rachael wrote:Yeah I made a similar comment about that earlier about SLADE. Its .ART editing interface is really undeveloped and unusable. I suppose I'll someday have to create a utility that extracts the graphics en masse so they can be edited with external applications.
There are some Build tools available for messing with the ART files, a more recent tool that I could find being this: http://swforum05.proboards.com/thread/7 ... -editor-v1

But one problem: It requires Java to run... which isn't surprising at all since m210 designed it...
The most recent editor for ART files is BAFed 2.00, which was released in July 2019:

https://m210.duke4.net/index.php/downlo ... les-editor

And yes it includes a binary, Java is not required.
Fox666

Post by Fox666 »

Kinsie wrote:I believe the RPG sprite was originally created for a cancelled mobile port by Voidpoint. It's also used in World Tour. The Megaton Edition sprite is less polished:
That's correct. I created that modified sprite for the mobile port, and TX shared it with Nerve which included it in World Tour.

The other sprites posted by Phredreeke were created by the Nerve team (except for the RPG).

The sprites you posted are from Megaton, which were created with help of the community.

I have already updated these sprites, gimme a sec.

Edit: https://imgur.com/a/0M8gLMO
Gez

Post by Gez »

Nash wrote:Soooooo... how the shit do I find the sprite? After some fiddling around in SLADE, it turns out I have to click a couple of tiny buttons to browse through HUNDREDS of graphics in the several .art files with MEANINGLESS names (TILExxxx), one by one... I don't have the patience for that. >8[

Is this what modders put themselves through when working with Build? Jesus christ lmao
The multi-image interface in SLADE was meant for stuff like in Dark Forces or the Quake test beta, which have much lower maximums. For something like the ART files in Build, just right-click and choose "Graphics->Extract all".
Nash

Post by Nash »

Ah, I must've missed the Extract All button. That's MUCH more convenient, thanks Gez.
Last edited by Nash on Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Well - for what it's worth Duke Nukem comes with a "names.h" file which names the tiles. I guess not that it really helps much.

Return to “General”