[Addressed] [SW: WD] [newrenderer] Skyline sky illusion bug

Moderator: Raze Developers

[SW: WD] [newrenderer] Skyline sky illusion bug

Postby Cacodemon345 » Sun May 09, 2021 11:59 am

There is another bug with the new renderer where some areas will be hidden behind a sky illusion wall.
Attached is a save file showing the bug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cacodemon345

Discord: Cacodemon345#9151
Github ID: Cacodemon345
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [SW: WD] [newrenderer] Skyline sky illusion bug

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon May 10, 2021 11:18 am

Fixed the immediate problem. But this map is surely a shining example of employing some really gross hacks. The entire interplay between fog and skies here is something nearly impossible to decipher because it all depends on flat single-color tiles so I cannot even tell what flat color area is sky and what is just a texture. When switching off the fog in Polymost it looks broken as well so I'm not even sure that some parts look off because there's an error in the renderer or just some piss-poor mapping that managed to produce the intended result with software rendering by random chance.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon May 10, 2021 11:37 am

Well, screw it. In the end the only way to really fix this is to add another compatibility handler. The real problem is that two sectors here are erroneously flagged as sky and no amount of fumbling around will ever give stable results. This even somewhat glitches in Polymost - if you just look close enough.

Whatever I tried to change on the sky logic here broke stuff in RR E1L1 so there must be some unknown sky property at play here I don't know about yet.
Graf Zahl

Postby sinisterseed » Tue May 11, 2021 6:21 am

Skyline is indeed a quirky map, and the best example of the lack of polish that WD received after the publishing deal was retracted due to all its issues.

This map was pretty broken in Redux as well, which if I recall renders the fog, but the sky remains a black void anyway.
sinisterseed
Raze/GZDoom RO Translator & Raze Tester

Twitch ID: nixchievousfox
Github ID: sinisterseed
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Closed Bugs