[Any version] [SW] Possible to sequence break boss fights

Moderator: Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[Any version] [SW] Possible to sequence break boss fights

Post by sinisterseed »

That's probably not the best title I've ever written and it's technically a bit inaccurate but whatever, I'll explain anyway. I've mentioned this before during ye days of olde but it didn't seem to get much attention - and I also forgot to make a topic for it, whoops.

Basically, in SW (as in, even the original DOS version to my knowledge), it is possible to trigger a sequence break by simply saving and reloading after killing a boss once its health bar vanishes and before the cutscene/end level stats screen appears. This can be reliably triggered with any of the 3 main bosses, if you reload such a save the game will not proceed any further, leaving the player stuck on the map until they either restart it or warp to a new level. Fixing this major softlock issue would be a great QoL improvement to add to the list.

That being said, not sure if this is best done here or better saved for upstream though.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [Any version] [SW] Possible to sequence break boss fight

Post by Graf Zahl »

Best report it there as well.
ReaperAA

Post by ReaperAA »

mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Thanks for the upstream report, but I'd recommend doing it in their Gitlab deployment here so it doesn't get missed :).
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Indeed, ty for that, I was planning on doing it myself but oof, GitLAB. So close man, could've been Github but whatever.

I'm happy they finally switched to Git though, never thought I'd see the day they leave SVN lol.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Phredreeke wrote:Looks like it's been fixed

https://voidpoint.io/terminx/eduke32/-/ ... 92e85c5d53
Now this is quite wholesome :) .

It only needs to be merged.
NY00123

Post by NY00123 »

Thanks for bringing the attention, I've hopefully taken care of the problem in VoidSW.

And yeah, the switch to the git repository was done around the beginning of last April. I know that developers were already using git-svn beforehand. At least a portion of them expressed preference for proper git usage at differing points, but it was eventually StrikerMan780 who was really pushing for actually making the migration. cq75 also helped with this process a lot. The general consensus is that doing the migration was good.

Personally, I'm currently more used to git, anyway. I also had these Bitbucket-hosted Mercurial repositories, which I had to convert to git due to the removal of Mercurial hosting support by Bitbucket, but I was already used to git, either way.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

NY00123 wrote:The general consensus is that doing the migration was good.
Yeah, it was the same when ZDoom and GZDoom made transition 7 years ago - it especially helped with external contributors.
And considering the overall feature set of both systems, these days I find it awkward when I have to work on something still using SVN - it's missing so many QoL features one simply takes for granted with Git that it tends to become an obstacle.

Just as an example, one round of backend refactoring on Raze a few months ago went bad, but with Git I could rebuild a clean branch by cherry-picking the good commits, making some edits in-between and then cherry-pick more. The same happened last year in GZDoom as well where I had to rebuild an entire branch. It would have been an utter nightmare doing that with a system like SVN which only knows a linear way forward.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Indeed, I'm really glad for you guys that you've finally decided to dump SVN in exchange for Git.

In the long term, and heck even in the short term as we're srarting to see, I'm sure that this will be quite a boost for the development and will open the gates wide for contributions, as it can be seen with how it benefitted GZDoom. I'm sure the remaining skeptics will change their mind in the future.

I see the fix was merged upstream, I'll check it out to see for myself if this softlock has been been truly fixed once the daily build for today becomes available.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

NY00123 wrote:Thanks for bringing the attention, I've hopefully taken care of the problem in VoidSW.
Tested with the Win64 build 20200716-9166-32096f6c6 and can confirm it's 100% fixed now, checked out the Serpent boss as well as the Sumo on MAP11 and the game proceeded as intended ;) .

Seems VoidSW has made some progress recently, much more stable now overall, but still has some silly issues, such as the volume seemingly being at 100% when it's first started but the problem fixes by itself when opening the sound settings, stats screen and boss music playing at full volume and ignoring my settings, and Wang still exhales instead of saying his line at the beginning of MAP03 when advancing from MAP02.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

lowskill. wrote:and Wang still exhales instead of saying his line at the beginning of MAP03 when advancing from MAP02.
That one required quite a bit of workarounds, I cannot actually see how this could ever have worked with the original code, I was only able to get it right with quite significant changes.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Graf Zahl wrote:
lowskill. wrote:and Wang still exhales instead of saying his line at the beginning of MAP03 when advancing from MAP02.
That one required quite a bit of workarounds, I cannot actually see how this could ever have worked with the original code, I was only able to get it right with quite significant changes.
I know, it was very finnicky but Redux doesn't have this issue so maybe we could borrow some code from it once we figure out where the issue is exactly.

If I am to make a guess, something goes wrong in the level transition code since that's the only way to trigger the wrong behavior, warping directly to the map avoids triggering it. But we haven't fully fixed it yet either, Wang says his line now but still exhales when transitioning from MAP02 to MAP03 and that almost ends up playing over the one-liner.

Until we can finally get rid of the core issue and the transition is performed correctly to the map, this is not fixed in my book, just a temporary workaround.

Return to “Closed Bugs [Raze]”