Demon Eclipse Mod Thread - New Beta Up-Testers needed. p. 1

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Sniper joe wrote:Thanks! Ill credit you if I ever release it. (Or anything... O_o)
Release what?
Cptschrodinger

Post by Cptschrodinger »

Whatever I might make with them of course. Sorry if I sounded odd.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I have a small question for the Zdoom community. Is there someone that can compose a midi/mus file from a mp3? I found this mp3 that i would like to use for boss fights, but i hate using OGG formats cuz it makes the wad humungous. I dont want to make people download some huge file when it's just music.

If so, please send me a note if you are interested in turning a wave-format file into midi. :)
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Those people who've been complainining about "huge" file sizes in regards to certain Doom wads seriously need to wake up to the 21st century :P. Even a couple of hundred megs would be absolutely nothing when it comes to modern hard drives and internet connections.

I know there are a few unfortunates stuck with older hardware for whatever reason, but they are growing to be such a tiny minority that catering to their needs isn't really neccessary any more.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

NiGHTMARE wrote:Those people who've been complainining about "huge" file sizes in regards to certain Doom wads seriously need to wake up to the 21st century :P. Even a couple of hundred megs would be absolutely nothing when it comes to modern hard drives and internet connections.

I know there are a few unfortunates stuck with older hardware for whatever reason, but they are growing to be such a tiny minority that catering to their needs isn't really neccessary any more.

This is doom. It's not meant to be huge. Plus, seems like a awfuly waste of time and space when most of the space taken is due to the music. Game should focus on the game, so the majority of the game should be stuff that effects gameplay and not the sounds itself, as long as it doesn't sound god awful.
BetaSword

Post by BetaSword »

.Oggs making it huge? Have you tried changing the copression rate? Cause I know I've been able to get several MP3's down to very small sizes using .ogg. I mean, unless it's a really detailed song that doesn't compress well, I don't see how it would add horribly to the size...

Just my opinion.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

BetaSword wrote:.Oggs making it huge? Have you tried changing the copression rate? Cause I know I've been able to get several MP3's down to very small sizes using .ogg. I mean, unless it's a really detailed song that doesn't compress well, I don't see how it would add horribly to the size...

Just my opinion.
that just makes it sound like crap. Like something from an old radio.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Eriance wrote: This is doom. It's not meant to be huge.
My entire point is that 50 megs or whatever *isn't* huge. It certainly would have been almost a decade and a half ago when Doom was originally released, but in this day and age a "huge" file is one that's a gigabyte or more. To my knowledge no Doom wad, either existing or currently in production, even begins to approach that kind of size.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

NiGHTMARE wrote:
Eriance wrote: This is doom. It's not meant to be huge.
My entire point is that 50 megs or whatever *isn't* huge. It certainly would have been almost a decade and a half ago when Doom was originally released, but in this day and age a "huge" file is one that's a gigabyte or more. To my knowledge no Doom wad, either existing or currently in production, even begins to approach that kind of size.
Yes, 50 megs is not huge. I dont drisagree with that at all. Hpowever, 50 megs for doom is not worth it, tus making it big. There is no point in making people download 50+ megs for a doom mod when 90% of it is from ogg files.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

But why not, when nowadays the majority of people can download a 50 meg file in less time than it would have taken to download a 0.5 meg file 10 years ago? Considering I've had a 'net connection for almost 10 years myself, I remember those days well :P.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

NiGHTMARE wrote:But why not, when nowadays the majority of people can download a 50 meg file in less time than it would have taken to download a 0.5 meg file 10 years ago? Considering I've had a 'net connection for almost 10 years myself, I remember those days well :P.

Because this isn't a music wad. I'm not going to make people download 50 megs worth of music and no game. Plus, the Midi drivers on most peoples machines can make midis that sound better than a compress mp3. The focus is on the game. If the game isn't taking 50 megs, then i'm not gonna make people download 50 megs.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Just make a seperate music WAD so that everybody wins. :)
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

TheDarkArchon wrote:Just make a seperate music WAD so that everybody wins. :)
yeha, I was thinking about that. What kinda format does Zdoom play? OGG and Mp3?
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

They both work. I can't remember the full list
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

I think it helps if you just put it into perspective.
Contained in this spoiler tag is a visual representation of today's memory vs. a wad file with an ogg in it. The white space is free memory, and the black space is memory taken up by the wad and its ogg.
Spoiler:
EDIT: On second thought, the image should have been something more like 3000x3000...

Return to “Editing (Archive)”