[Big Concept Map] The RPG Engine - Not dead yet!

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.

Postby deathz0r » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:10 am

I am genuinely interested in this. If you can still get on IRC, talk to me there.
deathz0r
ftw

Twitch ID: deatsaw
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby SirTimberWolf » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:44 am

PM sent, if you have any questions please don't hesitate... If you don't like it, toss it back and I'll come up with something else, I've got a few RPG scenerio scripts laying around here (not related to what I sent you)
SirTimberWolf

Postby Apothem » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:16 pm

Thanks SirTimberwolf. I'll need those extra scenarios for the test mission if at all possible. Aside from that, I've done a good bit of updating to the documentation. I recommend taking a look at the update log and everything I've changed thus far. Thanks to everyone for their cooperation and interest thus far!
Apothem
ACS scripting makes my head go BooM!

Postby Apothem » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:47 pm

I'd like to inform everyone that the baseline dungeon requirements are in and will be added to later on this week. I've also made quite a few other updates, and I feel that I may be able to begin coding this very soon. Once I get the baseline maps in order, I'll be able to release a beta with all the menu and vendor scripts in place. 8-)
Apothem

Postby solarsnowfall » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:03 pm

1) Working cam system for world, city, and dungeon. If the world and city views are going to be from the "birds-eye" third person perspective, then those could probably be based from that vehicles demo Apothem made. The dungeon cam system will most likely be a scripted sequence based upon some static map spots, as they rotate about.

2) Once this is done then further mapping specifications can be made. For the world map, I think of a ZTerrain map from a relatively high altitude view. Then there can be small "buildings" or some sort of object symbolizing a town for the player to walk to. With the world map being the "main" map, the town locations would hub to other maps and back.

3) For town maps, I think it would be good to have the third person "birds-eye" view will work as well, but from a lower altitude. The town maps would be more detailed, buildings that are viewable from outside only. When the player enters a building, it would teleport (or hub) to part of the map (or other map) designed to be the inside of the building.

4) Now, this is where I have uncertainty. Once inside the buidings, would it be best to maintain a third person over view, or switch to the Zdoom chase cam? If it's going to be more like a traditional turn based old school rpg, it would still maintain a thrid person POV. It' is important to know, becaus in this case, the insides of buildings would have to keep a fairly rigid standard. For one, you never see the ceiling in this POV, and all of the ceilings would have to allow for the camera to move around in. If a chasecam type view is used for the insides of buildings, then we can persue a more traditional Doom style to mapping.

5) The dungeons, as I understand it, will be the most detailed parts of the maps. Since there will be random encounter battles, the player will need to be warped to the battle area where the turn based fighting begins (very FF7 esque). Drop a map spot where the player was when the battle began, and warp him back when the battle is over.

These are the kinds of things that need to be discussed in order for us to make a demo for other mappers to design from.
solarsnowfall

Postby Apothem » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:07 pm

The plan is, for shops and inside buildings inside the town, is to do them like the way their done in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
Apothem

Postby Deathsong12 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:23 pm

Okaydo: Basic Storyline.

Spoiler: "The Spirit World"

Spoiler: "The Great Darkness"

Spoiler: "The Burning Revolutions"

Spoiler: "Our Hero"
Deathsong12
Can smell your fear

Postby Apothem » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:57 pm

Yay, background information is in!! Wootzer. I'll start working with local and global sources to create missions and I'll need to talk to you about getting a detailed journey together. We'll make the teaser the introduction to the storyline and go from there. Thanks very much Deathsong!
Apothem

Postby Apothem » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:04 am

Thought I'd like to update everyone on the progress:
Currently I'm working on the basic battle system framework and trying to get all the baseline functions and scripts in place. Once I can get all the framework in, it should be relatively easy to create new melee and magic attacks.

Magic attacks will be a basic decorate projectile that activates a script upon spawn and upon detonation. I haven't quite figured out all of the specifics and the exact contents of the scripts but, the magic attacks will still just be basic decorate projectiles that activate a script.

Melee attacks will be done a tad bit differently, and I will be releasing more information on these as I get to them.
Apothem

Postby DrClim » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:07 pm

Is there any way I can help out in this project (mapping or coding)
DrClim

Postby Apothem » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:40 pm

Maybe, if you can email me a sample of your work at my email and tell me the position you wish to help out at, I'll consider letting you be a part of the team.
Last edited by Apothem on Wed May 10, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apothem

Postby Shadelight » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:27 pm

are you going to change the player's sprites? because a doom marine, wouldn't look right for an rpg....
Shadelight
You must construct additional lumber.

Discord: Shadelight#4920

Postby solarsnowfall » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:16 pm

That remains to be discussed. Clearly for an RPG game it will need to be done, but that may be left up to those who want to develop for the system we are making here.
solarsnowfall

Postby Apothem » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:26 pm

We do indeed need some skins and animations for a main character. If any of you have anything worth looking at, please let me or solarsnowfall know... Otherwise, we'll prolly end up making some kind of POS mspain gfx :cry:
Apothem

Postby jallamann » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:31 pm

Heh.
Console -> summon jallamann
:P

Ripped from World of Warcraft without any real work put into it (there's some green around the edges and stuff).
jallamann
isn't very active on the forums at all

PreviousNext

Return to Editing (Archive)