[Big Concept Map] The RPG Engine - Not dead yet!

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.

Postby Apothem » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:23 am

Risen wrote:
Apothem wrote:strife dialog system

No cooperative support, then?

Quite honestly, I have no absolute clue how I'm gonna be doing co-op support. The plan is to do a seperate wad for MP, and go from there. However, considering the circumstances, I don't know about that. We'll see though. That's the only issue I'm gonna have with making this thing, and that would be multiplayer support, so like I said I'm not entirely sure about that one.

As as side note/question, do you mean to tell me that the strife dialog system isn't very MP friendly?
Apothem
ACS scripting makes my head go BooM!

Postby Ryan Cordell » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:27 am

As far as it was discussed in a topic, using Strife's Dialouge in co-op or multiplayer: Instant de-sync.
Ryan Cordell
PDA Man

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Nmn » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:30 am

I confirm this.
Nmn

Postby Apothem » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:31 am

Blade Nightflame wrote:As far as it was discussed in a topic, using Strife's Dialouge in co-op or multiplayer: Instant de-sync.

Then I don't think my solution is gonna be much better, As I'm probably gonna have to remake the whole damn thing and then some. And considering the size of the menu scripting, it aint gonna be very friendly reguardless. Sorry guys! :(

The actual plan for MP was to enable the player to take the character they've trained up in their single player adventure and actually pit it against another player's character over the net. That would be about it tho.
Apothem

Postby Apothem » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:29 pm

Okay, bit of an update here, and a question to you all. Since I've been working on the inventory system for the engine, I've sorta run into a bit of a mental road block as far as equippable stuff goes. So I have a couple questions on what you guys feel about the topic.

1. How do you think equipment should affect gameplay in the sense of stat bonuses and additions?

2. How do you think such things should be balanced in order to maintain proper flow within the game?

3. How do you think armor should be structured? Should elaborate with tons of different layers and pieces to be equipped on the player, or should it be simplistic with about 5-8 slots to equip stuff to?

The current idea I have for all this is the following:

-Somewhat limited inventory (8 slots or less for equippable items)
-Basic stat bonuses for appropriate items.
-special effects for spells and weapons only.
-stat requirement checks
-players should be able to create their own weapons/armor with resources collected from monsters. Collected resources would be used at a smithy shop. Different shops would have different skill levels and abilities to imbue items with effects.

What do you think? I am probably gonna follow my notes on this one, but I am curious as to what you guys think of this particular topic within games. Your opinions are greatly appreciated. :)
Apothem

Postby SMG M7 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:05 pm

1) Well, with all the abilities that you can give a player (jumping, attack power, resistance to damage IIRC, speed IIRC, and mayeb some other things) you could have a ton of stat bonuses as well as spells/potions. I think you should make any sort of player ability upgradable, if you can.

2) Price/level needs should come first, and then, if you plan on using player classes, class-specific stuff. It should be harder to use the bought stuff than the stat-based stuff, as well.

3) I think youshould go for the simpler approach here. No need to overcomplicate armor.
SMG M7
Woo!

Postby Apothem » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:45 pm

Thanks SMG. Anyone else got any opinions on this? Please post them here as I am very curious as to what you guys think. :wink:
Apothem

Postby Risen » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:20 am

It's difficult to combine items for greater effect with only a few slots. However, having a very large amount of things to keep track of gets tedious and begins to encroach on just having fun. Find somewhere in the middle.
Risen

Postby Apothem » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:49 pm

Thank you Risen. Hmm, it seems my assumption on this particular thing is correct. Well, since I've got the town and inventory in development, I should have that taken care of and I'll be able to expand off of the battle system some more. Thanks! Oh and if anyone else has any opinions on this, don't be afraid to post. :D
Apothem

Previous

Return to Editing (Archive)