Operation Overlord

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

It's funny watching a 65-year old Doomguy talking.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I wanted to give this a try but it ran at 1FPS for me. :(

Like LWM's Bittersweet, this made the wad unplayable at all for me.

Why is this? Even other insanely-detailed maps are playable for me (RTC3057, TNT:LE, etc) averaging at 20 or so FPS.

Are you using some insane scripting or super high-res sprites and textures? Or is the linedef count very high?

I'd really like to play this...

Another note - but I believe it's the modified engines' fault. It hard locks my system all the time. :/ I can only get it to run for like 10 seconds before it completely locks my computer.

I doubt it has anything to do with the FPS, because I did a test with Bittersweet - eventhough it was running at 1FPS, it never crashes and locks my PC. I left BS running for more than an hour and it didn't crash - although the FPS did remain at 1. :P
Last edited by Nash on Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

IMO it's not that detailed at all. Just lots and lots of bullets and stuff flying everywhere. But yes bittersweet, island, KDiZD and the rest of those over-detailed levels give me the slowest of speeds, but this runs fine.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

I find the biggest slowdown is caused by script crazyness.
This wad was very slow on my system aswell, so I havn't tried it properly... yet.

But I think the slowdown on this map is mostly the hectic activity in a large open space.

Nash It didn't lock my system, maybe thats just you :p
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

The slowness is caused by the vast open expanse: The CPU takes a hammering trying to get the rendering of it right.
Belial

Post by Belial »

Running at 1280x1024 didn't cause slowdowns even for a sec for me.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

I've only got a 1.4ghz machine. You'd think that enough to play any Doom wad :lol:
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

I have a 1.2Ghz Thunderbird Athlon and it ran at a livable framerate. Then again I have a high tolerance to crappy frame rates.
Belial

Post by Belial »

AthlonXP 2000+. That's 1.67Ghz. 1600x1200 usually causes problems, 1280x1024 is fine for almost all wads and 1024x768 is fine for all wads.
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

oh, this is AWESOME!

Enjay, mind if i rip all those monsters? :P They're just awesome Blake Stone-ness that I want. :P :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Again, thanks for all the comments. :)

The slowdown, I think is a combination of things - the wide open area, a few monsters have thing_hate running (which I believe can slow things down) and there are a lot of projectiles flying too so. Sometimes near the start I notice a momentary slowdown, but I'd be surprised if it even gets as low as the old 35fps. I've never actually tried with the fps counter on. Mine's a 2.8GHz Intel chip.

[EDIT]After a bit of exploring, my fps was generally around 60 near the start spot on UV running at 1024x768. Occasionally it dropped to around 40.

Killing all the monsters did make a difference, but not a huge one.

As I progressed up the beach, the fps rose as less and less of the expanse was in view. By the time I got to the top and started the second phase of the level, the fps value was always over 100 and often over 200. So, it looks like having the wide open space in view is indeed the killer (perhaps being surrounded by line_horizon has an impact too?).[/EDIT]
Bouncy wrote:Enjay, mind if i rip all those monsters? :P They're just awesome Blake Stone-ness that I want. :P :)
I don't mind at all, go ahead. Obviously the original Blake Stone sprites are the source but they've all been altered/recombined/reworked to some extent by me so they are something I feel I can give permission for. IIRC, if I'd just stuck with the original sprites, there would only have been 3 variants.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I have just beaten it today. I probably died like 15-20 times and yes it was that hard IMO but I still managed to pull through.

@Enjay - Were you able to find all four secrets? I only found 2 in my run.
Belial

Post by Belial »

:lol:

I think the author of the map knows where he has put his secrets. ;)

1-2. Machinegun nests above the minefield.
3. The first mg in the trenches has a berserk pack.
4. The trenches between the 3 towers have a branch with a green armor. The branch leads into a cave, there's another mg. Crouch to see an opening behind it.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

@Belial - Thanks for the info about the secrets.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

Nice mod enjay, it feels a lot like WW2. I played it with WW-ana for those WW2 weapons, just for the sake of making it more like WW2.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”