Portals: Link offset mismatch between sectors X and Y?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
AFADoomer

Portals: Link offset mismatch between sectors X and Y?

Post by AFADoomer »

What exactly is this error message trying to tell me?

I assume that the numbers are supposed to be Sector index numbers?

Matching those numbers to Sector index numbers in my maps, the two sectors are usually completely unrelated, and often have nothing to do with any portal in the map.
Tormentor667

Re: Portals: Link offset mismatch between sectors X and Y?

Post by Tormentor667 »

Did you check if the sector sizes are equal?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This message means that you are trying to create multiple portal links between map areas and the offsets of these links are not identical. If two areas A and B are connected by static portals any path leading from A to B needs to have the exact same offset.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Thanks! That's what I thought the problem was...

The sector numbers are still meaningless to me, though; other than being on either side of the portal, they are unrelated, other than that they both are tagged for 3d floors, in addition to being part of the portal. Maybe it would be better to return the portal sector tags or something?

Admittedly, I've got some relatively complicated stacked geometry in place, but the lower area started out as a copy/paste of the upper area, so that the perimeter of the portal area would be the same. Nothing looks off in-game, and traversing through the portal works fine (other than the usual "I can see myself" glitch that still shows up because my player actor uses a model).

I guess I'll have to check every vertex and make sure that they are all identically offset. *sigh*
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

You do not have to check every vertex. Only the linedefs used for linking the portals need to match.

Return to “Mapping”