How Does One Make Brightmaps?

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Outtagum

How Does One Make Brightmaps?

Post by Outtagum »

I would like some fancy brightmaps a la SBrightmaps (fullbright monster eyes etc) but for Chex Quest and Heretic. However, I have absolutely no idea where to start. Looking around, I gleaned from previous forum posts that it's fairly simple but very laborious. Sounds like my kind of project (I'm a simple person)!

Would someone be kind enough to give me a couple of pointers to get started?
Nevander

Re: How Does One Make Brightmaps?

Post by Nevander »

Basically every pixel becomes representative of that pixel's brightness in-game. You can use colors but ideally black and white. Take the first frame of the Imp facing the player for example, to make his eye's fully bright even in complete darkness, simply edit the sprite so that his eyes are full white and everything else is solid black. The black can be anywhere, it only maps brightness not showing though in-game. Save that as a new lump and then you can use GLDEFS or the brightmaps folder to map them.

Sometimes though full white doesn't look too good. This is where image editing tools can come in handy. I use MS Paint because I am a noob so the process for me is very tedious. With image editing tools you could change it to grey-scale and you are already pretty much set, then tweak the overall brightness of the image to preference.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

One thing to note is that you can do coloured lighting (at least you could, last time I checked) by using colours instead of black and white. I imagine this is probably easier to make with an editor that shows you the colours' luminosity/brightness, though.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

If you want a quick-easy preview of the brightmap over its corresponding sprite/texture and you're using Photoshop or GIMP, simply set the brightmap to use the multiply filter.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Does the auto directory still work for brightmaps? I notice the default brightmaps.pk3 does not utilize it and instead maps them all with doomdefs.bm. I tried using it and it didn't map it automatically to the same named lump.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Outtagum wrote:... but for Chex Quest and Heretic.
Maybe this will provide you with some help.
Further on in the linked DrVenom8 thread he also has brightmaps for HERETIC.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Nevander wrote:Does the auto directory still work for brightmaps? I notice the default brightmaps.pk3 does not utilize it and instead maps them all with doomdefs.bm. I tried using it and it didn't map it automatically to the same named lump.
That is a GZDoom 3.0.0+ only feature.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Blue Shadow wrote:That is a GZDoom 3.0.0+ only feature.
It's lovely that the wiki does not mention a version requirement.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That's because it shouldn't need to. It's implicit that the only version of GZDoom that is currently supported is the latest one, and currently that's 3.2.0.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

That wasn't the point of my comment. It's nice to know from what version a feature becomes supported and available. Otherwise you end up with this exact situation of trying to use a feature that is for a newer version and you sit there wondering why it's not working, then it turns out said feature was added in a recent version and the wiki failed to mention it. I thought wikis were meant to hold all information relevant to the subject matter. Omitting an important detail of when a feature was added is a big deal to me. I always track changes and additions with everything I do and it really helps me remember when I did something.

EDIT: There's also no easy to find changelog for GZDoom anyway. I don't want to spend forever looking around github for changes and the one on zdoom.org is tedious to check. A page with a full list format of changes would be very nice. If this already exists please point me in its direction.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Simple solution: Do not use old versions!

The moment a new version gets released all preceding ones will be considered outdated and unsupported.
The assumption here is that modders will target the latest version, not something from last year! I know it runs counter with your update-phobia but that's solely your problem.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

Graf Zahl wrote: The assumption here is that modders will target the latest version
True for me. I feel much more comfortable by switching to new versions immediately than postponing it. Also I think it's important for the dev team that most people will switch asap to get potential bugs discovered.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

I have been annoyed by the lack of version listings on the wiki, but that has less to do with any of the mainline ZDooms themselves and more the fact that the Zandronum wiki doesn't have a copy of the ZDoom wiki with all the future version features shaved off.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Graf Zahl wrote:Simple solution: Do not use old versions!

The moment a new version gets released all preceding ones will be considered outdated and unsupported.
The assumption here is that modders will target the latest version, not something from last year! I know it runs counter with your update-phobia but that's solely your problem.
I understand the assumption and I am not arguing with that. I am simply trying to explain how from a technical standpoint the importance of documenting feature additions on the wiki. It's always helpful to know when something changed.

I'd make the change myself but I feel like it would be wikipedia all over again where I spend 40 minutes revamping a page and fixing errors and innacuracies only to find the next day all my changes were reverted.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Nevander wrote:I'd make the change myself but I feel like it would be wikipedia all over again where I spend 40 minutes revamping a page and fixing errors and innacuracies only to find the next day all my changes were reverted.
With as little action as the wiki has been getting in the first place, something like that happening is HUGELY unlikely.

If you want to at least mitigate it, you can store all your data in a forum post first so you don't lose it.

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”