Make the player not be able to step above a -8 height sector

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
arachnotron

Make the player not be able to step above a -8 height sector

Post by arachnotron »

As we know the doom engine considers something too high to be walked throught if it's 8 units of height or higher. What I noticed when designing a more realistic map is that to get tables in a realistic scale, 8 is too high, they need to be a bit lower, say 6. The problem is, doomguy is stepping above the tables and I would like it for it to not do this because it looks kinda dumb ingame. I want the player to need to jump if he wants to walk on top of the table.

So how do I somehow do this?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Make the player not be able to step above a -8 height se

Post by Caligari87 »

8 units high? What kind of scale are you using where a table is 8 units high? It should be at least 32-36 for a Doom-scale table, which should be higher than the default step-up height of 24.

You can adjust the player's max step-up height if you're using a custom player class. [wiki]actor_properties[/wiki].

8-)
arachnotron

Post by arachnotron »

Caligari87 wrote:8 units high? What kind of scale are you using where a table is 8 units high? It should be at least 32-36 for a Doom-scale table, which should be higher than the default step-up height of 24.

You can adjust the player's max step-up height if you're using a custom player class. [wiki]actor_properties[/wiki].

8-)
Yes, I got confused, it's higher than 24 to stop being able to cross it.

For me, a table actually feels like it's at scale at 24, so I don't want to make the actor higher, I want the pov to stay as it is, I just want it to not be able to step above a 24 height floor.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Okay, then set a lower MaxStepHeight in your playerclass, like 16 or 20.

8-)

Return to “Editing (Archive)”