Linedef Properties Window is invisible at GZDoomBuilder.

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Ravick

Linedef Properties Window is invisible at GZDoomBuilder.

Post by Ravick »

So, in a particular wad, when I select a line and RMB at it o open the Linedef Properties Window, it does not appear at all. However, if I try to click any other thing, I get the Window's error/alert sound, just like the window was open. And I also can't select anything else until I press Esc, just like as if I was closing the window.

it does not happen with sector, vertice, thing selection. Their respective Properties Window appear just normaly. I just can't see the Linedef Properties Window. In other maps, however, the window appears.

I can't upload the map itself because it is from a team project, and I was told not to show the map anywhere. Can anyone help me to solve this issue? I rly can't get why it is happening! D:
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Linedef Properties Window is invisible at GZDoomBuilder.

Post by Kappes Buur »

What happens when you press the ~ (tilde) key?

Normally this would close the infopanel to make the edit area bigger.
Pressing ~ again would restore the infopanel.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

It works normally, but does not seem to have influence at the invisible windown problem. :(
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Just thinking out loud ....

Make a backup before trying any of the following.
Did you run the map through F4 to check for any problems?
Does this happen with the other linedefs of that sector?
Did you try Make Sectors Mode on that sector?
What happens after you convert to another map format, to either HF or UDMF, whichever one is applicable?

What happens when you use the Slade3 map editor?

Can you upload, at least, a map of only that portion which gives you grief?
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Kappes Buur wrote: Did you run the map through F4 to check for any problems?
I actually don't know this feature. :oops: Tried to (hot) key F4 here, but it did nothing.
Kappes Buur wrote: Does this happen with the other linedefs of that sector?
Kappes Buur wrote:Did you try Make Sectors Mode on that sector?
Yes, it happens to the all lines of the map. It does not seems to be related to any sector in special.
Kappes Buur wrote: What happens after you convert to another map format, to either HF or UDMF, whichever one is applicable?
I actually never did it too. ( :oops: ) I'll need to look how to do it firts. The map format is Zdoom in Hexen.
Kappes Buur wrote:What happens when you use the Slade3 map editor?
I tried both Slade3 and DB2, they do open the "Linedef Properties Window" with no problems:
Spoiler:
Kappes Buur wrote:Can you upload, at least, a map of only that portion which gives you grief?
Well, i've made a small "excerpt" of it. Map's name is U1M6:
TESTE_NAVIO3.wad
(199.04 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

___
I guess I'll just swap the map editor, but I rly can't get why it is happening. (And I'm used to GZDoomBuider, it is bad to change and all. =/ )
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

This seems to be a problem with any Hexen format map or something. It seems that, for some reason, the Linedef Properties window's initial default position is set to some weird value. In my computer, it opened in the second monitor.
I tested this on GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix R2990.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Hummmm... Can I change the position, I mean, without moving it around with the mouse? :o
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

F4 is Map Analysis. If you do not have that, then check F6 Modes to enable F4.
Spoiler:
F2 lets you convert between map formats. Going from HF to UDMF will not convert 121 specials. Going backwards from UDMF to HF does not convert the UDMF special settings.
Ravick wrote: I tried both Slade3 and DB2, they do open the "Linedef Properties Window" with no problems:
Your map shows the Linedefs Mode infopanel in my GZDBBF_r2990 with every linedef.
Spoiler:
All I can suggest at this point is for you to delete GZBuilder.cfg (see Help) and let the editor generate a new one. Perhaps your present one is corrupted. If you have specific settings though, they would be lost. Or delete all of the editor and cfg file and reinstall.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

I tried deleting GZBuilder.cfg (actually I found just "GZBuilder.default.cfg"), but it didn't change the problem. I've upgraed my GZDBuilder from R2975 to R2990, but it also didn't work.

I've made a convertion to UDMF, and then it started to show the window. I also tried opening other maps in HF from other mods, and they also show the problem. Maybe Phamtombeta is right:
phantombeta wrote:This seems to be a problem with any Hexen format map or something. It seems that, for some reason, the Linedef Properties window's initial default position is set to some weird value. In my computer, it opened in the second monitor.
Anyway, it is strange how just me and him have seem this problem.

I also tried (the kludge of) making a huge prefrab of all the map and pasting in a new one, but the problem persists if I keep the HF format. But dissapers if I make in any other one.
___
However, as the original team demands the maps to be in HF (I can't get why thought...), and the convertion has made a few messing with some scrpit triggers, I guess I'll just swap the editor for this map. =/

____
Kappes Buur wrote:I gave the door a texture. I hate missing textures.[/spoiler]
haha, good choice :D
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Ravick wrote:I tried deleting GZBuilder.cfg (actually I found just "GZBuilder.default.cfg"), but it didn't change the problem. I've upgraed my GZDBuilder from R2975 to R2990, but it also didn't work.
As far as I can deternine, GZBuilder.default.cfg comes as a template with every version of the editor and can be deleted. The GZBuilder.cfg, which is the one used by the editor, is in the AppData\Local\Doombuilder folder. As I mentioned above, see in Help to find the location of that file quickly
Spoiler:
That is also the file which stores the location of previously opened pwads, etc.

Just to make sure, on https://github.com/jewalky/GZDoom-Builder-Bugfix it is advised to install required software. Do you have Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 and DirectX 9.0 Runtime installed?
Ravick wrote:Anyway, it is strange how just me and him have seem this problem.
Indeed. If that were a pervasive bug many more mappers would have mentioned it.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Kappes Buur wrote:Just to make sure, on https://github.com/jewalky/GZDoom-Builder-Bugfix it is advised to install required software. Do you have Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 and DirectX 9.0 Runtime installed?
GZDoom Builder can't even run without those installed AFAIK, so yeah, he probably does.
Kappes Buur wrote:
Ravick wrote:Anyway, it is strange how just me and him have seem this problem.
Indeed. If that were a pervasive bug many more mappers would have mentioned it.
I think it's much more likely that this is a recent bug, and no one really uses Hexen Format with GZDoomBuilder-BugFix.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

phantombeta wrote: GZDoom Builder can't even run without those installed AFAIK, so yeah, he probably does.
You are probably right. It's just a longshot.

One more thing about this Linedefs problem that I can think of
Spoiler:
phantombeta wrote: I think it's much more likely that this is a recent bug, and no one really uses Hexen Format with GZDoomBuilder-BugFix.
As I mentioned before, if that were a pervasive bug many more mappers would have mentioned it.
Many of my older maps, which I tinker with, are in Hexen Format, and I do not have a problem with Linedefs Mode, once it is enabled.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Kappes Buur wrote:
Ravick wrote:I tried deleting GZBuilder.cfg (actually I found just "GZBuilder.default.cfg"), but it didn't change the problem. I've upgraed my GZDBuilder from R2975 to R2990, but it also didn't work.
As far as I can deternine, GZBuilder.default.cfg comes as a template with every version of the editor and can be deleted. The GZBuilder.cfg, which is the one used by the editor, is in the AppData\Local\Doombuilder folder. As I mentioned above, see in Help to find the location of that file quickly
Spoiler:
That is also the file which stores the location of previously opened pwads, etc.
Well, it tottaly fix the issue. I guess some line(s) of my GZBuilder.cfg got messed up.

Kappes Buur, Phantombeta, thanks for helping, dudes! :D

Return to “Editing (Archive)”