3D MidTex that blocks hitscans?

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
AFADoomer

3D MidTex that blocks hitscans?

Post by AFADoomer »

Is it possible to make a 3D/walkable mid texture that blocks hitscan attacks in the same way that it blocks projectiles?

I'm trying to essentially create a linedef fence/wall that can be shot *over*, but not *through*... So just marking the line to block hitscans doesn't give me what I want.
Nevander

Re: 3D MidTex that blocks hitscans?

Post by Nevander »

One hacky solution that comes to mind is an invisible solid thin but tall 3D floor that you can place right beside the fence at the identical height or better yet, make the fence the 3D floor instead of using a midtexture at all (assuming that is an option). The only issue there is the fence would then need to be at least 1 unit wide and midtextures aren't wide by any units. So the first one still sounds like a good idea.

You might could make the midtexture be the middle of the 3D floor, so in this crude text drawing:

Code: Select all

|             | midtex      |
|             | <------     |
| 1 unit wide |             |
|             | 1 unit wide |
|_____________|_____________|

3D floor spans both 1 unit
 wide sectors with midtexture
 in the middle.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

AFADoomer wrote: I'm trying to essentially create a linedef fence/wall that can be shot *over*, but not *through*... So just marking the line to block hitscans doesn't give me what I want.
That is quite easy in UDMF.
Attachments
uFENCE.wad
Example pwad
(13.69 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Thanks for both of your responses... I am trying to avoid 3d floors here because of the effect that I'm trying to achieve, but I may need to re-work what I'm doing.

@Kappes Buur - Your map highlights what I'm trying to work around - Rockets are blocked by the midtex, but can pass over it as expected, but if you give yourself a hitscan weapon, the hitscan shots are stopped in empty air above the midtex. I want the fence to block hitscans, but the empty air to allow them to pass.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Uh, oh. My faux pas. :oops:

Return to “Editing (Archive)”