3D MidTex that blocks hitscans?

Discuss all aspects of editing for ZDoom.
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

3D MidTex that blocks hitscans?

Postby AFADoomer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:27 pm

Is it possible to make a 3D/walkable mid texture that blocks hitscan attacks in the same way that it blocks projectiles?

I'm trying to essentially create a linedef fence/wall that can be shot *over*, but not *through*... So just marking the line to block hitscans doesn't give me what I want.
AFADoomer

Re: 3D MidTex that blocks hitscans?

Postby Nevander » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:26 am

One hacky solution that comes to mind is an invisible solid thin but tall 3D floor that you can place right beside the fence at the identical height or better yet, make the fence the 3D floor instead of using a midtexture at all (assuming that is an option). The only issue there is the fence would then need to be at least 1 unit wide and midtextures aren't wide by any units. So the first one still sounds like a good idea.

You might could make the midtexture be the middle of the 3D floor, so in this crude text drawing:

Code: Select allExpand view
|             | midtex      |
|             | <------     |
| 1 unit wide |             |
|             | 1 unit wide |
|_____________|_____________|

3D floor spans both 1 unit
 wide sectors with midtexture
 in the middle.
Nevander
Banned User

Postby Kappes Buur » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:31 am

AFADoomer wrote:I'm trying to essentially create a linedef fence/wall that can be shot *over*, but not *through*... So just marking the line to block hitscans doesn't give me what I want.

That is quite easy in UDMF.
Attachments
uFENCE.wad
Example pwad
(13.69 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Kappes Buur

Postby AFADoomer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:05 pm

Thanks for both of your responses... I am trying to avoid 3d floors here because of the effect that I'm trying to achieve, but I may need to re-work what I'm doing.

@Kappes Buur - Your map highlights what I'm trying to work around - Rockets are blocked by the midtex, but can pass over it as expected, but if you give yourself a hitscan weapon, the hitscan shots are stopped in empty air above the midtex. I want the fence to block hitscans, but the empty air to allow them to pass.
AFADoomer

Postby Kappes Buur » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:12 pm

Uh, oh. My faux pas. :oops:
Kappes Buur

Return to Editing (Archive)