3D Models

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Exosphere

Re: 3D Models

Post by Exosphere »

kodi wrote:It could be an issue of scale (default blender working size is tiny in gzdoom) or rotation (the gun points into the screen and is thus behind the camera rather than in front of it)
Thats a possibility, but I can spawn it with "summon" and the world model renders (It spawn and drops to the floor), but I can't pick it up. Even if I make it a default weapon in DECORATE, its like the weapon doesn't exsist.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

When I unwrapped models, I selected the edges of the faces I wanted. Since it was the Arm Cannon from Metroid Prime, it should have been easy... but it was a model created in sketchup, and had a lot of triangles in the faces. I did get them unwrapped, but it looked awful when I turned the UV into material. If you end up figuring this out, please let me know dude I would love to get a working arm cannon model in the Dreadnought mod!
Exosphere

Post by Exosphere »

R4L wrote:When I unwrapped models, I selected the edges of the faces I wanted. Since it was the Arm Cannon from Metroid Prime, it should have been easy... but it was a model created in sketchup, and had a lot of triangles in the faces. I did get them unwrapped, but it looked awful when I turned the UV into material. If you end up figuring this out, please let me know dude I would love to get a working arm cannon model in the Dreadnought mod!
What a coincidence! I also made my models in SketchUp as well, and ported them to Blender. When porting the models over, there are a few things you should do once they are in Blender.

Part 1: To Reduce Triangle Count

0. While in SketchUp, get rid of all hidden faces on the model (I would say this is very important if you will be porting them into Blender. To check if your model has any hidden faces, go to View -> Face Style -> click X-Ray.

1. Get rid of more excess triangles (Can only do in blender). For some reason, Blender adds triangles to the model even when they dont need to be there. To get rid of them, first go into Edit Mode while in the 3D View, then select the entire model (press A), right-click, then select "Remove Doubles". The face that is circled in red is the hidden face; Delete these! This will radically reduce triangle count. (Note: To actually delete these, you will have to go into the model itself and delete them while inside.)

Part 2: Making custom seams

2. Make custom seams on the model. This one is slightly trickier since the seams on my model wont be the same on yours. To add a seam, switch the "select" mode to select "Edges". (The "select mode" is circled in Red. The middle one is the "Edges"). This will essentially tell the program where to cut on tour model instead of cutting it into each individiual triangles. Then, right click on an edge, press "CTRL-E", and select "Mark Seam". This will turn the edge RED, that means that the edge is now marked for cutting. (Since some of the edges might be hidden, pressing Z will make your model wireframe and allowing you to see inside.)
blender_3dview_toolbar.PNG
3, Next is the tough part, since it will involve you adding multiple seams along the faces that you want to cut out. Where you add the seams is entirely up to you. One way to think about it is that your model is a "present", the mesh is the "wrapping paper". Your goal is to find a away to wrap the present so that it covers the entire model equally, while making sure the mesh doesnt overlap in places. A good idea to start with is to basically mark the model down the center, with the idea of splitting in half.

Let me know if this helps, I really hope it does and dont be shy to ask any question.
Attachments
With the XRay Filter
With the XRay Filter
with_xray.PNG (8.94 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Without the XRay Filter.
Without the XRay Filter.
without_xray.PNG (5.41 KiB) Viewed 505 times

Return to “Editing (Archive)”