making player not accelerate/decelerate when moving

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.

Re: making player not accelerate/decelerate when moving

Postby Matt » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:07 pm

It seems the most thorough way to do something like this would be to override the MovePlayer function and replace the (Forward)Thrust stuff with appropriate TryMove() calls.

(I would try this but someone will have to pay for cleaning the vomit out of my keyboard.)
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Nash » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:25 am

vAethor wrote:Alright, I'll have a look at it. Thanks Nash.

Right now I'm experiencing that embarrassing moment where you realize you don't know nearly as much about scripting as you thought you did.

Edit: I searched "Nash" on the forums and STILL can't find an easy way to access his ACS source. Can I get a link?

Did you actually open the nashmove.pk3 file? There is a directory inside there beautifully named "source". :P

Vaecrius wrote:It seems the most thorough way to do something like this would be to override the MovePlayer function and replace the (Forward)Thrust stuff with appropriate TryMove() calls.

(I would try this but someone will have to pay for cleaning the vomit out of my keyboard.)

For TCs, I'd use MovePlayer but for plugin/drop-in mods, the "manipulate Inventory's Owner" tactic would work best. Of course, you'd be limited in what you can truly do but hey, better than nothing. :')
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby vAethor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. And Nash, I did have a look at your code, though I am still trying to make sense of it (I know I said I had a "fair knowledge of DECORATE" but this issue's making me realize I'm still a novice in many areas...even though this is ACS and not DECORATE.) But I did notice something odd. When I play Doom 2 with your Nashmove script it works really well, but when I load my custom, Wolfenstein 3D-inspired map the player's movement is painfully and unplayably slow.

I tried changing player.ForwardMove and SideMove to 8 instead of 4, but the problem persists. I know it is something else, because when I play Doom 2 with the new values, Doomguy is WAY too fast!

Any ideas what is going on? At first I wondered if my map being 64 pixels high was somehow crushing the player down so he moves slower due to some strange collision detection issue, but I moved while crouching and I didn't go any faster. And I notice when I load my map without Nashmove, the player's movement is perfectly fine, if not still the slippery Doom default.
vAethor

Previous

Return to Editing (Archive)