Setting sky texture to walls

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
vAethor

Setting sky texture to walls

Post by vAethor »

Having some major difficulty with this, I only found one or two tutorials or other peoples' forum threads on the matter, and they were all from almost a decade ago.

It seems the way they all say to do it (create a new sector w/ F_SKY1 as the ceiling flat then lower it all the way to the ground without applying any textures to the linedefs) doesn't work anymore, as when I went to run it I didn't see the sky, I just saw an entire wall of nasty slime trails.

Applying the F_SKY1 texture to the linedefs only resulted in a bad-looking flat tiled texture instead of what I wanted.

I am using GZDoom 3.0.1 in software mode (I'm a purist, I like to play at the vanilla res plus the latest advances make me not need OpenGL much anymore,) GZDoom Builder 1.14.0 and I make my maps in the UDMF format. I presume there's been an official way to do it now that is more elegant than creating untextured walls, because it seems highly unlikely the devs would discontinue the ability to make the wall texture be the sky.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Setting sky texture to walls

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, there hasn't been any change here. It was never needed. The 'untextured upper wall' method is still the way to go.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

You don't have to leave the upper wall untextured though right? Because in many maps I've done, I've put textures on the upper part of the sky I lowered as a reminder for me that those walls are going to be sky (some kind of dummy texture).

That reminds me... why does this method only work downwards? A lowered floor sector with sky will not show the lower walls as sky even if the surrounding floor flat is also F_SKY1. I have to actually leave those untextured or else the texture shows up even though sky is all around.
vAethor

Post by vAethor »

Graf Zahl wrote:No, there hasn't been any change here. It was never needed. The 'untextured upper wall' method is still the way to go.
Okay then...are you sure? Because I must have done something wrong.

Look at this:

All sidedefs have no wall textures, there is only a ceiling flat, no floor flat, and that ceiling flat is F_SKY1.

As you can see here this entire wall is lowered completely to the ground.

And yet this still happens:
Yuck.

Going to ignore the fact that even the other, non-sky walls have missing textures when I run them straight from GZdoom (but not from GZdoom within Builder,) because I can probably fix that myself at a later date.

So, I'm wonder if I did anything wrong here...
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

You need a sector with F_SKY1 in front of the sector you lower down, so you need this:

Code: Select all

| F_SKY1, lower  | F_SKY1, not  | Normal  |
| to floor       | lowered      | sector  |
|                |              |         |
|________________|______________|_________|
In other words, sky needs to be beside the sector you lower down for it to work in software. Hardware it works anywhere there is a untextured wall lowered down with sky as the ceiling.
vAethor

Post by vAethor »

Thanks a bunch mate, it works now.

Now all I gotta do is work on my level design. This is a test map and it's butt-ugly.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”