gzdoom's application of missing textures

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
bimshwel

gzdoom's application of missing textures

Post by bimshwel »

Uh oh, me again.
is there any way to control this? I presume this topic has come up before but I don't know how to search for that since I do not know what this occurrence is called.
ugly ceiling
ugly ceiling
Formerly, in regular dumb old Zdoom, I could trick the ceiling into looking like it was consistently sloped by setting unusually high ceilings and omitting upper textures,
marginally less ugly ceiling
marginally less ugly ceiling
but gzdoom fills in my gaps, making it look stupider than usual.

ugly floor
ugly floor
Later on the floors here sink below the main floor; they are meant to disappear entirely but again the blank (actually covered with "AASHITTY," to keep level editors from filling them in, but gzdoom is smarter than they are) parts are filled in. Although, unless I am mistaken, they are only PARTIALLY filled in, as I disabled it in some places by accident; right here the far wall is filled in but the near walls are not. I do not know a proper way around this (such as by using slope copiers for the ceiling) because the floors that get lowered are themselves sloped, and as far as I know there is no way of flattening them after initializing.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: gzdoom's application of missing textures

Post by Graf Zahl »

The engine never attempts to flood gaps that border a sloped sector. There's just no good way to do it, so in order to avoid gaps it forces an upper or lower texture onto such linedefs when rendering them
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

That makes me wonder... are sloped midtextures possible? Or could they be possible?
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

Sloped mid-textures? You mean like the graphic itself skews to match the surface?
Graf Zahl wrote:The engine never attempts to flood gaps that border a sloped sector. There's just no good way to do it, so in order to avoid gaps it forces an upper or lower texture onto such linedefs when rendering them
Horg that is too bad, thank you for the explanation! Those things do not REALLY need to be sloped, I suppose. I am trying to do justice to an idea I had 20 years ago and it might not be entitled to this much justice.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”