Advanced Lift

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
camaxide

Advanced Lift

Post by camaxide »

I want to make an advanced lift, which consist of two different 3d-floors with different height of ceiling and floor. These needs to be linked, but I think sector-link will not work with different heights on them it seems. I need to ensure the floor and ceiling work in tandem and is linked as well, so that a player (or anything else) blocking the elevator going up, does not make the 3d-floors floor get closer to it's ceiling. I imagine this is best done through some clever scripting which checks for the 3d-floor sectors ceiling height, and then sets the 3d-floors floor height to be equal - 8 units or so, and then for the linked sector which is 0 in height has the correct offset.
The lift can be seen here: Image
Nevander

Re: Advanced Lift

Post by Nevander »

If you have different height sectors you need to move together, use the same tag or just use different tags and use both in your script to move the 3D floor control sectors. I'd just design the area around the lift so that it can't be broken by standing in it's way. The only exception is the bottom of course, in which case you could try using [wiki]Generic_Floor[/wiki] when moving the lift back down to crush the player, however I had problems using that as it doesn't supply enough damage in a quick enough time and there's no parameter for how much damage.

Another solution might be to make the line in front of the lift impassable when the lift is in operation (something acting like a gate of sorts) and then unblock the bottom or top depending on where the lift is with [wiki]Line_SetBlocking[/wiki].
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

Crushing isn't a way as the lift is in its own way designed to be something you can block. and it goes up through a hole to a 3-dfloor above, which also means I cant avoid possible trapping between the top floor and lift.
I'll try to make the two floors linked and leave the grid-surface flush with the solid (won't look as good, but will likely be able to use moving floor&ceiling together and linked without breaking).
I feel it should still be possible to make a "dummy sector" that controlls the others, and just every tick make the two 3-d floors update its floor and ceiling based on that one dummy-sector, thus keeping all the parts in sync and linked. Though not sure what that code looks like
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

camaxide

Post by camaxide »

the polyobjects looked like a possible solution until I realized they cant have a top and bottom texture?
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

Oh my.. I went back, and using link and move ceiling and floor together worked flawless.. going back it seem I had only toggled the link for floor, and not for ceiling on the first attempt.. and thus had the 3d-floor mess up..
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

Issue now is that blocking will only pause the lifts movement, instead of making it return - can this be changed? a player under the lift will actually get the player stuck as it currently is - I'd need the lift to move back up in this case :)

Return to “Editing (Archive)”