Exit_Secret is acting like Exit_Normal

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Nevander

Exit_Secret is acting like Exit_Normal

Post by Nevander »

This is a weird one. I am testing a map like usual, and I take the secret exit to test that and I notice something off, it's taking me to the next normal map instead of the secret map which I have set up in MAPINFO and in the ACS script to do so.

Before you ask...
The MAPINFO is correct and secretnext is set to the right map.
The ACS script is using Exit_Secret.
I made sure that I am executing the correct script, even just doing a new script with only Exit_Secret still sends me to the wrong map.

The only thing I can think of is that this is happening because the maps to be sent to are actually not present in the WAD or being loaded at all. However, at the same time, why does the normal exit send me to the right map even though it doesn't load it or it is not in the WAD either?

To explain further... my map's name is ABS03. In MAPINFO, the next map is ABS04 and the secret next map is ABS06. I am using Exit_Secret in the map, however the intermission and console reports the next map is ABS04. Neither ABS04 or ABS06 are present in the WAD though. This isn't the only case. The same thing is happening with another mapset where RTR04 is supposed to go to INTER07 for the secret map, but instead takes the normal exit's next map of RTR05. This tells me it's not a MAPINFO error.

I found this thread which is about a similar problem but it's from 2007.

EDIT: I decided to try adding ABS06 into the WAD and then it actually worked. My hunch was right, but it still confuses me why it ignores the secretnext property and uses next. I'd imagine it should have still tried to go to ABS06 and then dumped to the console with the "no map ABS06" message.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Exit_Secret is acting like Exit_Normal

Post by Graf Zahl »

The secret exit will act like the normal exit if the target map cannot be found. This is owed to the German Doom 2 version (without the Wolfenstein levels) which needs to reroute to the regular next map. That feature got inherited from Doom2.exe.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Ah. Seems like it would only apply to MAP31/32 slots though. An entirely new map name format like ABSxx I'd imagine would not be affected. That's why it surprised me.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It doesn't check the specific map name. There's just a check looking for the requested map. When this check was added there were no arbitrary map names

Return to “Editing (Archive)”