Git repos for mods

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Rip and Tear

Git repos for mods

Post by Rip and Tear »

I've noticed that some ZDoom mods are using git repositories (e.g. https://github.com/MajorCooke/Doom4Doom) to manage their files. These files are normally in a .pk3 archive, so how is this being done?
Voros

Re: Git repos for mods

Post by Voros »

The contents of the PK3 are in the repo. What's else is there to it?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Rip and Tear wrote:I've noticed that some ZDoom mods are using git repositories (e.g. https://github.com/MajorCooke/Doom4Doom) to manage their files. These files are normally in a .pk3 archive, so how is this being done?
GZDoom can just outright run folders as PK3-style mods if asked to. This is useful for development (since you can use version control like Git) and testing (since you don't need to pack up a PK3 to play).

Most mods that go this route typically also include a command-line version of 7zip and a batch script to generate a PK3 on command, for creating release versions to distribute on this forum or elsewhere.
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

Kinsie wrote:GZDoom can just outright run folders as PK3-style mods if asked to. This is useful for development (since you can use version control like Git) and testing (since you don't need to pack up a PK3 to play).
Could you please direct me to a wiki page that documents this? I haven't been able to find anything on it.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Rip and Tear wrote: Could you please direct me to a wiki page that documents this? I haven't been able to find anything on it.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Archive_format

It's easy. Just do

gzdoom.exe -file MyModFolder

You can even drag the folder on to GZDoom.exe and it'll work.

Of course, your mod will need to have proper directory structure for this to work
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

Nash wrote:
Rip and Tear wrote: Could you please direct me to a wiki page that documents this? I haven't been able to find anything on it.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Archive_format

It's easy. Just do

gzdoom.exe -file MyModFolder

You can even drag the folder on to GZDoom.exe and it'll work.

Of course, your mod will need to have proper directory structure for this to work
I actually tried that, spaces in the directory were just causing issues. Either way, I'm still having some troubles with that, so instead I just made a shell script that automatically zips the directory into a pk3 and launches it that way.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Or just rename the folder not to include spaces. :)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

...or just use quotation marks around the folder path? I just tested with the following and it worked fine:

Code: Select all

gzdoom -file "D:\Games\Doom\Projects\Juvenile Power Fantasy\jpf-dev"
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I was trying to keep it simple but that works too. :P
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

If you're curious, D4D specifically has a remote auto-compile server set up for it. Every time I push a new commit, the system auto compiles into a brand new .pk3, managed miraculously by ZZYZX.

Also, I wish ZDL could accept folders directly. Otherwise, I just use a batch compiler with 7zip to autopackage whenever someone else commits to my repos. Seems like extraneous work but I-- just lost my train of thought after my dog jumped on my lap... Damnit!
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

If I need to build a repository on Linux, it's just

zip ../project.pk3 *
from within the folder, or

zip project.pk3 ./*
from outside it. Usually though I like just keeping everything in a reasonable state where cloning the repository or downloading the master .zip results in a working mod. Granted my mods are pretty simple, but this works perfectly for me.

8-)

Return to “Editing (Archive)”