Lovely Very Fatal Error with 0 console errors?

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Captain Ventris

Lovely Very Fatal Error with 0 console errors?

Post by Captain Ventris »

Working on updating Doomvengers to work on the latest stable GZDoom I've encountered the lovely situation of it refusing to run, even when every console error I'm given has been cleared. Dump and all that attached. I am super clueless on how to proceed here. Previously it was some silly syntax errors that weren't caught by the engine previously, a float number used where an integer was needed, and some self-referring entries in TEXTURES. Now, I don't know what's killing it!
Attachments
CrashReport.zip
(14.89 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
_mental_

Re: Lovely Very Fatal Error with 0 console errors?

Post by _mental_ »

In order to investigate the crash I need exact version of all WADs you are loading and configuration .ini file.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Don't know if it'll help, but last time I had an crash on startup with 0 errors was when I accidently defined an actor that already had a pre-existing instance/name in the game. Like so:

Code: Select all

ACTOR RadSuit : CustomInventory replaces RadSuit
Fixed it with this:

ACTOR UberRad : CustomInventory replaces RadSuit
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Tried a few versions from 1.8.6 to 3.1.0 and all of them don't crash but give proper error message:

Script error, ":decorate.txt" line 1:
Cannot replace class RadSuit with itself
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

_mental_ wrote:Tried a few versions from 1.8.6 to 3.1.0 and all of them don't crash but give proper error message:

Script error, ":decorate.txt" line 1:
Cannot replace class RadSuit with itself
Derp, my bad. I had gotten used to seeing the error message directly in the launcher telling me exactly what line got busted, so when I made that mistake, the error only showed up as "you have 1 decorate error", without actually telling me the line like it usually does for other instances. I ended up remembering that wrong as if it gave me no errors.

I'll gotta look into using whatever error log thing is available in gzdoom, I've never used it before. Apologies for the confusion.
D2JK

Post by D2JK »

I sometimes get these too - the last time it was because I was trying to do eg. Scale *= (2,4);, which works when adding/subtracting, but in multiplication/division you're supposed to use a single numerical value only.

If you've broken your mod into multiple text lumps within the archive, it usually helps to disable them one by one from the end. When the crash stops occurring, you can try searching through the last disabled text lump for (syntax) errors.

If technically possible, it would be nice to have a dedicated startup option for situations like these, which could make the startup significantly slower, but in return it would keep writing in a logfile what is about to be processed next (text lump, what particular line in a text lump, things like that). Then, if the startup terminates and this process is cut off suddenly, you might have a clue as to where the problem lies.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

D2JK wrote:I sometimes get these too - the last time it was because I was trying to do eg. Scale *= (2,4);, which works when adding/subtracting, but in multiplication/division you're supposed to use a single numerical value only.
Did you report this? If so, I missed it somehow because it's a bug indeed. Maybe * and *= were reserved for dot (or even cross) product.
It's only about multiplication though, / and /= operators give valid error: 'Incompatible operands for division'.
D2JK

Post by D2JK »

I can do that now.
Captain Ventris

Well, I certainly wandered off. Whoops. Okay, here are all the files I'm using as well as the batch file to run e'm in the right order:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qmx9ruewjcbl ... g.zip?dl=0

And my .ini is attached.
Attachments
Ventris Config.zip
(5.32 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

I narrowed the cause of this crash down to short DECORATE sample and reported it here.
Add a state label to NewSupremBaronBall actor in POSSATE.dat lump and you will get valid error messages instead of crash.
Captain Ventris

_mental_ wrote:I narrowed the cause of this crash down to short DECORATE sample and reported it here.
Add a state label to NewSupremBaronBall actor in POSSATE.dat lump and you will get valid error messages instead of crash.
Thank you so much. I FIGURED it was something extremely silly, but couldn't figure out a way to know what it was!

Return to “Editing (Archive)”