Why this happened?

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
XASSASSINX

Why this happened?

Post by XASSASSINX »

I was making a mod, And my crap PC shut down, No big deal, I open my mod in slade and there is nothing on the mod, Again, No big deal, I go into the .bak file and turn into a .wad file. I open it on slade, But still nothing! I lost my whole mod! I don't think that's really something i can do, So... Any ideas why that happen? Why the .bak file also didn't work? (Kinda vague question) And is there something i can do?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Why this happened?

Post by Rachael »

If your .bak file is hosed chances are it was either caught in your write cache when your computer died, or the computer's file links were.

Run a disk scan (chkdsk) and check your drive for errors. If anything's recoverable, chances are it'll convert your lost chains into files and one of them might be your missing wad.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

On a side one, I'd recommend you to obtain Shutdown Preventer. It's a fancy little free program which shall not allow your PC to shut down, not even if you try to shut it down manually (you need to close the program first, of course). I simply hated when my piece-a-shit PC decided to restart itself when I was in the middle of a long and tedious work. Since I use Shutdown Preventer, I don't need to worry about I'll lose my progress.

If your PC still restarts, then it may very well signify a hardware problem!!!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Before you go installing any third-party software to "prevent" it, make sure it's not a hardware-related issue like overheating first. You DO NOT want to fry your machine.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

You might want to try this OP, try forcibly opening the .bak (not .wad) with SLADE.

Also a good piece of advice for backups is to make another copy of your WAD file(s) every now and then. Back them up somewhere else, completely different drive if possible.

For example, my TC's main file is stored in a folder on D drive but I also back it up a folder on C drive.

And speaking of .bak files, how are you supposed to handle opening these the right way? Reason I ask is because I assumed you could rename it to .wad, but upon doing this for GZDB it claimed the wad file had no maps. So instead I renamed it back to .bak and then forcibly opened the .bak and there the map was. Wtf? It can find the map if it's .bak but not .wad? I don't know if it's the same case with SLADE.
XASSASSINX

Post by XASSASSINX »

Well... I'm already re-making the whole mod again... But i do have a copy of the mod, (Because i saved the new version of the mod in the old corrupted file) but i tried to turn the old .wad file which was a .bak file into a .bak, But it didn't work, I tried changing it's name to "(Name of the file).bak"
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

If it's a hardware issue, then Shutdown Preventer won't work :) this is why this software is good, it helps tracking down the culprit. Otherwise I would not recommend it.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”