"How do I ZScript?"

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
Nash

Re: "How do I ZScript?"

Post by Nash »

Major Cooke wrote:Huh. Interesting... I didn't know you could access the default properties...

Code: Select all

Speed = Default.Speed;
That's a neat trick!
Oh WOW, thanks for making me realize I'd coded so much redundancy with regards to dynamically altering properties temporarily and restoring it to the defaults at a later time!

(I had to record the defaults somewhere else!)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

:shock: !!!!!!

Is this static? Like, can I call Clip.Default.MaxAmount without making sure there's a Clip actor somewhere to reference?

EDIT: Totally unrelated question, what does the damage argument do in SpawnBlood()?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Vaecrius wrote:Is this static? Like, can I call Clip.Default.MaxAmount without making sure there's a Clip actor somewhere to reference?
You can use GetDefaultByType:

int clipma = GetDefaultByType("Clip").MaxAmount;
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Well, not exactly how do I zscript, but zscript related...

How do I make it so the actors definde in zscript appear as the same as the actors defined in decorate? I assigned doomed numbers in mapinfo, even created "blank" actors in decorate so I can classify and sort them, but I can only show sprite with this. Most of my items and weapons use voxels/models, so I want to see voxels or models in editor also. Is is possible with zscript?

Better said, the decorate defined actors appear in editor with their spawn frame. Sprite/model/voxel either. The zcsript actors appear only as blank/missing icon, and all sorted under "user defined" section, when defined with doomed numbers in mapinfo. How do I make them appear in my sections? Is this possible? Should I make a feature suggestion?
kodi

Post by kodi »

Is it possible to make a 3d model actor that billboards to view just like a sprite?
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

ramon.dexter wrote:Well, not exactly how do I zscript, but zscript related...

How do I make it so the actors definde in zscript appear as the same as the actors defined in decorate? I assigned doomed numbers in mapinfo, even created "blank" actors in decorate so I can classify and sort them, but I can only show sprite with this. Most of my items and weapons use voxels/models, so I want to see voxels or models in editor also. Is is possible with zscript?

Better said, the decorate defined actors appear in editor with their spawn frame. Sprite/model/voxel either. The zcsript actors appear only as blank/missing icon, and all sorted under "user defined" section, when defined with doomed numbers in mapinfo. How do I make them appear in my sections? Is this possible? Should I make a feature suggestion?
Assuming you are using GZDB bugfix, it could be that the GZDoom.pk3 is not added as resource to your wad in the editor. I had the same issue some while ago when I converted some of my Decorate actors to ZScript (sprites only, no models or voxels). Beware that if this is indeed the issue, you add the resource with the option "exclude this resource from testing parameters" checked, otherwise GZDoom will throw errors.
Nash

Post by Nash »

kodi wrote:Is it possible to make a 3d model actor that billboards to view just like a sprite?
That has to be done in the engine's model drawers... it's not something you'd want to ZScript your way around...
kodi

Post by kodi »

@nash
I didn't know if there was a simple function override or flag I didn't know of that would accomplish it.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Isn't there a way to fire a short hitscan and return if it hit anything?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yo how do I colourize a text according to the user's "item pickup" colour preference?
kodi

Post by kodi »

What's the most efficient way to get the (x,y) angle between two vector3 positions?
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

Something like this:

Vector3 diffVec = vecB - vecA;
double diffAngle = atan2(diffVec.y, diffVec.x);
Though it's worth noting that if you need the angle from an actor to another actor, you should really use AngleTo (that also goes for getting the distance/vector to another actor - use Distance2/3D and Vec2/3To, respectively) since its portal aware.
kodi

Post by kodi »

I figured it'd save some performance not spawning intermediate actors just to measure to, but portal awareness is a really good point. Thanks for both the formula (wasn't sure if there was some faster built in method) and the tip.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

kodi wrote:Is it possible to make a 3d model actor that billboards to view just like a sprite?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: It makes no sense. Billboarding is just an attempt to place a 2D object in 3D space while ensuring it can adjust to the actual viewpoint.
A model is already 3D so any vertex will have a well defined 3D coordinate associated with it, regardless from where you look at it.
kodi

Post by kodi »

@graf
I understand that. The idea was to cheat around sprite name limitations. For a weapon at least I should be able to use a non-existent BLAP A 1 frame for every single muzzle flash frame for every weapon and then use modeldefs to apply a flat plane 3d model with long name textures of my choice for each of them. Or that was the idea; I've not tried it.

Return to “Scripting”