"How do I ZScript?"

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: "How do I ZScript?"

Post by gwHero »

I was a bit experimenting with Nash's shadowsprites trying to implement his code also for decoration sprites like trees. Since it is written in ZScript, I have converted some of them from Decorate to Zscript. I got it working, except the sprite & classnames are not recognized in GZDoomBuilder Bugfix. Am I doing something wrong or is the editor not prepared yet for custom ZScript sprites? (I am using the most recent version R2986)

This is the code for one of the sprites in a file named zscript/ZVegetation.txt:

Code: Select all

class HrFir1 : Actor
{
	//$Category HeroVegetation
	//$Title "Fir tree 1"
	//$Sprite "HFI1A0"
	{
		Radius 16;
		Height 70;
		+SOLID
	}
	States
	{
	Spawn:	
		HFI1 A -1;
		Stop;
	}
}
referenced from zscript.txt in the root of the pk3:

version "2.5"

#include "zscript/SpriteShadow.txt"
#include "zscript/ZVegetation.txt"
Actually quite straightforwarded. Btw. the editor number is defined in DoomEdNums from Mapinfo, and that's the only property the editor recognizes. So it's not a big deal, but it would be nice to get rid of the questionmark icons in the editor.
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

You have to put the GZDB-BF properties in the Default block, like the rest of the properties.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

You have to put the GZDB-BF properties in the Default block, like the rest of the properties.
Sounds logical! Thanks for the suggestion. But it didn't help, even put quotes around the category, but still no result.

UPDATE:
Since ZSCRIPT is all brand new I wouldn't dare this to call a bug, but assuming my ZScript code is correct, it seems that ZScript actors are not completely processed properly yet. A quick fix from the code I downloaded from Github did solve the problem, so I will report this in the proper place.

UPDATE2:
Issue solved. In my testwad I had only included the doom2.wad. Did not realize that when I moved the actor to Zscript code, I had to include the GZDoom.pk3 too. So just a user blunder.
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

Seeing the somewhat convoluted map detection system in the next Brutal Doom update got me thinking... ZDoom has a built in map identification system for automatic compatibility using MD5 checksums (see mapchecksum CCMD). Is there a way to utilize that to detect maps in ZScript?
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Asked this one on Discord and found that no one really knew if it was possible or not. Can a class' default properties be referenced elsewhere in the code? For example, I have a class AmmoType that inherits from Ammo, and I've defined it with a MaxAmount property. Can I reference this number somewhere else, as in AmmoType.MaxAmount? Or is this impossible since arbitrarily initializing a variable with an Actor-derived class is disallowed?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

How do you get a team name? According to this it should be "teams.getname()" but that just exits with "Unknown function GetName"
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Does ZScript have NaN and/or Infinity for floating-point types?
If so, how do I check if one is NaN? "floatVal == NaN"? "floatVal == float.NaN"?
EDIT:
Nevermind, apparently it does support NaN and Infinity
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

This has probably been asked before, but I've been looking for a way to print things using ZScript so I can test out my functions. I can't seem to find anything in this regard on the ZDoom wiki. I know that some programs use different printing functions for debugging though. Can anyone help me with this?
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

Agentbromsnor wrote:This has probably been asked before, but I've been looking for a way to print things using ZScript so I can test out my functions. I can't seem to find anything in this regard on the ZDoom wiki. I know that some programs use different printing functions for debugging though. Can anyone help me with this?
https://zdoom.org/wiki/A_Log
https://zdoom.org/wiki/A_LogFloat
https://zdoom.org/wiki/A_LogInt
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

Okay, but can you also use it in a void function like that? Thanks!
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Agentbromsnor wrote:This has probably been asked before, but I've been looking for a way to print things using ZScript so I can test out my functions. I can't seem to find anything in this regard on the ZDoom wiki. I know that some programs use different printing functions for debugging though. Can anyone help me with this?
Console.Printf. Same arguments as String.Format, but returns void and prints instead.
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

ZZYZX wrote:
Console.Printf. Same arguments as String.Format, but returns void and prints instead.
At first, GZDoom threw up an error, but all I had to do is update to the latest version of GZDoom to solve it. Thanks!
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

Is there an equivalent to Thing_SetGoal() that uses pointers instead of TIDs?
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Gutawer wrote:Is there an equivalent to Thing_SetGoal() that uses pointers instead of TIDs?
(Assuming this is in an actor, and that you want to set that actor's goal)

goal = goalobjectpointer;
            bChaseGoal = True; // equivalent to the "don't chase target" flag - or just leave it off for normal behavior.

Nash

Post by Nash »

What's stopping you from just overwriting/assigning to "target" directly?

///////////////

Question: what is for (;;) and why is it used that way?

Return to “Scripting”