HELP WANTED: ZScript

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: HELP WANTED: ZScript

Post by Ed the Bat »

D2JK wrote:If I try to use CallACS as a parameter for an action function, I get the following error: "Name expected for parameter 0". For example:

Code: Select all

TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItemEx( "BulletCasing", 32,0,32 , CallACS("RVelX"),CallACS("RVelY") );
You put the CallACS parameter in quotes. It needs to be put in apostrophes, aka single-quotes ( ' )
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

That shouldn't make a difference. The compiler should do that cast transparently.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Oh. Had I known it was a bug, I would have reported it the other day.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Major Cooke wrote:Confirmed, turning off the textures will allow it to work again.
Fixed.
D2JK

Post by D2JK »

Nevertheless, replacing the quotes with apostrophes immediately removed these notifications, so thanks to Ed for that.

The questions #1 and #2 I posted on the previous page remain unanswered though. But if there's currently no solution for those, that's fine; I'll wait.

EDIT: Ok, I found out how to suppress truncation warnings:

Code: Select all

MONS A 4 A_CustomMeleeAttack(Scale.X * 16);          // Gives a truncation warning
MONS A 4 A_CustomMeleeAttack(int (Scale.X * 16));    // Does not give a truncation warning
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Seems like the next GZScript build may or may not take a bit of time. There's been a massive set of changes that needs to propagate to win32gliface.cpp.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'm reviewing them now. Trying to figure out what in the heck happened while I was away and why the only person who bothered to tell me about it was Major Cooke. (Kudos, for that, by the way, I'll have this problem fixed soon)

And... done.

Builds will be up soon.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Builds from today's work/merges/etc are up now. Enjoy!
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Because no one else is building GZscript but you and I, from the looks of it. Or they're all just waiting for zscript to be merged first. They must not like bugs.

Anyway, thank you for that!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

You're welcome.
Major Cooke wrote:They must not like bugs.
From what I've seen there's not much to fear from ZScript there. Maybe a few quirks here and there but nothing that's going to explode your computer and turn it into a smoldering toaster oven from the middle of last century.

People really just need to start picking it up - or else they cannot complain when the real merge does happen, and they didn't take the opportunity (now) to report and get things fixed.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I agree. Fully. Besides a couple other contributors like yourself, Xaser, Edward-San, Ed the Bat, FishyClockwork, and... I'm forgetting a few... and I, the ZScript branch would not have come this far to be ridden of bug after bug.

Or they all think ZScript is a passing fad because some folks saw the super early commits and thought it was a joke. Judging by the cover... As usual.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I've waited so long to see this in my own hands, and had it not been for you folks making these builds, I'd still be waiting (I'm not smart enough nor set up on my machine to compile ZDoom).

I have many tens of thousands of lines of DECORATE code in my main projects that need converting; I've been working on it all week and I feel so good about getting on board with the new, proper way to do things. And to think, this is all only the beginning! I'm eagerly expecting big things down the road.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Major Cooke wrote:Or they all think ZScript is a passing fad because some folks saw the super early commits and thought it was a joke. Judging by the cover... As usual.
No, I've just had enough devbuild-induced trauma for one year.

That, and I still haven't a clue what this is capable of due to the lack of documentation, so I'm gonna wait until this matures a little before diving in head-first.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

You do not need to dive in. What's most important right now is to ensure that DECORATE code still compiles and works. And if people just 'wait' they'll be struck with it when it's too late.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Graf Zahl wrote:You do not need to dive in. What's most important right now is to ensure that DECORATE code still compiles and works. And if people just 'wait' they'll be struck with it when it's too late.
Well, I grabbed the test build and ran ReDoom, Reelism X3.1, Samsara 0.3666 and the latest Git build of MetaDoom through it, and while I didn't check too in-depth (a map or two farting around), the game started and nothing seemed out-of-place. So gross-ass old DECORATE code seems to work fine.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”