Disable Automap

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.

Re: Disable Automap

Postby Death Egg » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:57 am

Big bump, but I'm currently toying with the sidescrolling engine Nash made. Automap is pretty much useless for this and in order to disable it I pretty much have to remove it from key bindings and menus. I'm not saying that it should be permanently and completely eliminated based on modder decision, but if you can find a way to make it so there's an easier way of not allowing just any players access to this it'd be helpful.
Death Egg

Postby Nevander » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:44 am

I'd just cover the automap screen with a HudMessage of something so obnoxious that nobody would want to use it.
Nevander
Self-Banned User

Postby Nash » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:48 am

There is a HudMessage flag that only appears when the automap is up. Code a map drawing system like in this picture, using said flag to draw the tiles. ;)

Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby wildweasel » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:30 am

Death Egg wrote:Big bump, but I'm currently toying with the sidescrolling engine Nash made. Automap is pretty much useless for this and in order to disable it I pretty much have to remove it from key bindings and menus. I'm not saying that it should be permanently and completely eliminated based on modder decision, but if you can find a way to make it so there's an easier way of not allowing just any players access to this it'd be helpful.

Let 'em view the broken automap. They'll decide on their own that it's useless.
wildweasel
I pay the bills around here, I can talk about the control group all damn day
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Matt » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:20 pm

For things that truly are useless it's best to replace them with something that actually replicates the intended function like Nash's map.

(Posting mostly to point out that this can be done, and might be more easily done, with a ZScript HUD)

Or it could even show other things - objectives, general directions towards things, etc. ...
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Previous

Return to Editing (Archive)