editing/changing main menu background in doom 1

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
frm80

editing/changing main menu background in doom 1

Post by frm80 »

so i opened up the doom.wad and found the main menu image and i exported it. the image is in .lmp format. i wanna use this image i saved off the net to use as the background at the main menu and its in .jpg format. what do i need to do to my new background image in order to get it imported back into the wad and work properly? does the new image need to be in a different format or does something else have to be done?
Kappes Buur

Re: editing/changing main menu background in doom 1

Post by Kappes Buur »

It's not difficult at all, if you have a lump editor.
Changes are done by creating a PWAD, a map of your own. If the lump editor is any good, then it will prevent you from changing the IWAD.
Nowadays you would use Slade3.

As you can see on the bottom of the image, the original TITLEPIC has dimensions of 320 x 200 and is in the DOOM format.

ZDoom can handle various image formats.
Rename your image to TITLEPIC and import it into your PWAD with Slade3, for example:

Notice that the new image with dimensions of 614 x 541 does not follow the proper aspect ratio, which means that the image will be distorted when opened with ZDoom, but will fill the screen.

frm80

Post by frm80 »

Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Easier way is just to make a folder and call it graphics. Put the image in there in PNG format (JPG might work, not sure) and name it TITLEPIC.png. Zip up the graphics folder into a PK3 and load it alongside when you play. No messing around with WADs in SLADE.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”