[GZDB plugin] Sound Propagation Mode

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Enjay

Re: [GZDB plugin] Sound Propagation Mode

Post by Enjay »

:biggrin:
Spoiler:
boris

Post by boris »

Enjay wrote::biggrin:
Spoiler:
Hmm, most of those red lines are 3D floors, right? Totally forgot that they are red by default (I have that disabled). Looks like I have to draw all linedefs on my own and not rely on the build-in methods to get rid of that in this mode.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Looking at them, yes, I think they will be 3D floors. I didn't author the map (though I am very familiar with it) and I'm not too familiar with GZDB so I just assumed that appearance was expected.
boris

Post by boris »

By default GZDB is drawing the corners of sectors that are 3D floors red (can be disabled in the preferences). But Sound Environment Mode draws line with the sound zone boundary flag as red, too. So when you have that 3D floor option enabled, you can't really distinguish if red lines belong to a 3D floor or are blocking sound (at last when you zoomed out a bit).
boris

Post by boris »

Also, how is the performance of the modes for you guys? I've got a pretty powerful PC, so when it's running fine for me it might not for everyone. For example switching to sound environment mode on ZDCMP2 takes nearly 3 seconds (when the environments have to be calculated).
Kappes Buur wrote: Just one slight critisism.
The map is zoomed in as soon as the mouse moves over the Sound Environments docker tab.
Then, after moving off the tab and the map is Home'd, the map stays full size, as in the first image.
Does that happen all the time? It should only zoom after an entry is selected.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

boris wrote:Does that happen all the time?
Yes, it happens every time I move the cursor over the docker tab.
See videoclip with zdcmp2, my test map and gene-tech:

Mind you, this only happens when moving the cursor over the docker tab for the first time.
After that, I can resize the zoom level of the map and it will stay at that zoom level,
regardless of how many times the docker window opens up.

Addendum:
After watching those videoclips I realized that the initial zoom seems to be targeting the
area which has the blue colour.

[edit]
removed videoclips - no longer serve a purpose
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
boris

Post by boris »

I see, it didn't happen for me because I have the docker pinned, showing it all the time. Apparently the TreeView thinks it's a good idea to select the first node when the TreeView is shown for the first time. That doesn't happen when the docker is pinned, because it's shown before it's populated. The more I work with the TreeView the more is annoys me for being total ass. Anyways, will be fixed in the next release.
boris

Post by boris »

New version: https://github.com/biwa/soundpropagatio ... .0-rc1.zip

This is RC1 for version 1.0.0. Changes:
  • Changed the ways linedefs are drawn in both modes. They now ignore any special coloring (like line specials, 3D floors etc.), so it's easier to see the important information
  • Fixed a bug in Sound Environment Mode, where the map would zoom to the first sound environment, when the Sound Environment docker is not pinned and shown for the first time
  • Fixed problems when opening another map from the same WAD while being in Sound Propagation Mode or Sound Environment Mode
  • Discovering sound environments now works asynchronously. This does not increase performance, but the UI stays responsive while the map is processed. The mode also tries to process sound environments close to your current view first. Sound environments may have gaps in numbering. This is nothing to worry about, it's not missing any sound environments
  • In Sound Propagation Mode sectors are now combined into sound propagation domains (where sound will always be propagated freely). This is a big increase in performance for complex maps. Visually nothing changed
If there are no bug reports that's pretty much it for the time being.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Looking much neater:
Spoiler:
Thank you.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

boris wrote:
  • Fixed a bug in Sound Environment Mode, where the map would zoom to the first sound environment, when the Sound Environment docker is not pinned and shown for the first time
Thank you
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Looks like SoundPropagationDomain.cs is missing from the repository...
boris

Post by boris »

Oops, forgot to add it. Just commited it to the repository.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

I've made a patch, which adds the following:
Sound Propagation Mode: you can now click on doublesided linedefs to toggle sound blocking flag.

Also, a couple of questions:
1. Can I add the plugin to GZDB SVN?
2. Do you have any planned features for this plugin? (there's a lot of commented/unused code, so I'm tempted to perform a cleanup if you would allow me to add the plugin to GZDB SVN)
Attachments
SoundPropagationMode.rar
(24.46 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
patch.diff.rar
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
boris

Post by boris »

MaxED wrote:I've made a patch, which adds the following:
Sound Propagation Mode: you can now click on doublesided linedefs to toggle sound blocking flag.
Pretty cool feature.
MaxED wrote:Also, a couple of questions:
1. Can I add the plugin to GZDB SVN?
2. Do you have any planned features for this plugin? (there's a lot of commented/unused code, so I'm tempted to perform a cleanup if you would allow me to add the plugin to GZDB SVN)
1. Sure.
2. Not really. I already spent way more time on it than I wanted, and I'd rather work on the 3D mode/slope mode plugin. Most of the commented out code should be remnants from Sectors Mode or failed experiments (like RenderColoredSector). One commented out feature is the highlighting of non-deaf things in Sound Propagation Mode (lines 345 and following). That stopped working when I added the SoundPropagationDomains, and I didn't add it back in. Should be pretty easy to implement again, though.
I'll not work on it anytime soon, so feel free to clean it up. It'd be nice if you could supply a patch of your changes, so I can update my repository for sake of completeness.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Is it possible to get this working with normal DB2?

Return to “Editing (Archive)”