[v2.0.0 - Nov 17th] Doom Writer! Write text in Doom-style!

Discuss all aspects of editing for ZDoom.
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

[v2.0.0 - Nov 17th] Doom Writer! Write text in Doom-style!

Postby Vincent(PDP) » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:59 pm

(Admins: Please move or remove this thread if it's not under the correct category)
- For writing text in Doom-style!
Created by: Visual Vincent

Original thread: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4670

Well what's this?
Doom Writer is a program for writing Doom-style text and saving it as images. You can use it for your WADs, your websites, your videos etc...
It also includes the original Doom's capital letters and all the original ZDoom colors. (Please note that the capital letters F, J, X and Z were NOT created by id Software, instead I created them since they don't seem to exist in the normal Doom.)

Why should i use this? You can already write text in ZDoom.
Well, ZDoom doesn't include capital letters in it's BIGFONT. This application does!

How do you change the color of the letters?
It's just like in ZDoom. You type \c and then a letter for what color you want. (It's important that it's a small c and a capital letter of what color you want. For example \cF would make the text gold.)
Spoiler: Color list (from http://www.skulltag.com/stmanual/faq.html#general)

How do you use the letter offset function?
To use the letter offset function type "\[O##]" Before your text (where ## is a number such as 09 or 17 etc). If you want parts of the text to not have the offsets, simply type "\[O00]" Before it. It's important that you use a big O in the command.
A little note: Place the colors BEFORE the offset function, or else the application will make unuseful spaces.

How do you import custom charts?
To import custom charts into the main application, go to File > Options > Custom Charts. From there, just select the id you want to give the chart and press "Change...". There will now popup a window with the list of all imported charts (if any). Now you either select a chart from the list and press "Select", or you press "Import" and you locate the chart that you wish to import. The chart will then be added to the list of imported charts.

When you're done in the "Custom Charts" section, you must restart Doom Writer in order for it to load the custom charts. Then simply type "\c[A##]" before the text you wish to use your custom chart. (A## is the charts id which you set it to in the "Custom Charts" section. You're able to add 99 custom charts.)

Please note: When Doom Writer loads it's custom charts, it loads them into the computer's memory (RAM). So how many custom charts it will be able to load depends on how much RAM your computer's got. The application can consume a lot of your computer's memory if many charts are loaded!

Chart Editor
Spoiler: A small introduction to the Chart Editor

Screenshot
Spoiler: Screenshot

Download
(all downloads includes the Chart Editor)

Download from mydoomsite.com

Download from mydoomsite.com (ZIP Only)

Support
If you find any bugs, have any problems/suggestions OR if you just want to ask something, you can contact us here: support@mydoomsite.com
Support options are also available in the application.

Updates
-= v2.0.0 =-
* Added custom charts!
* Added Chart Editor!
* A few minor and major bug fixes.
* Added a new option: Treat charts as Doom text.
* Included the SMALLFONT charts plus some extra charts.

-= v1.3.1 =-
* Added resizing option.

-= v1.3.0 =-
* Added multiline support with row spacing option!
* Added letter offset function!
* Added "fake" letters created by me (uppercase F, J, X and Z)!
* Added a statusbar to view errors more properly.
* Added two more options in the Help menu.
* And some minor bugfixes.

-= v1.2.7 =-
* Small bug fix when sending a bug report.

Suggestions
Feel free to post any suggestions in this thread.
If you want to be more private there's a built-in function in Doom Writer, for sending suggestions or bug reports.

Upcoming features/fixes
* Some small bugfixing.
Please help us by giving us suggestions.

Want some source code?
Here you go!
Spoiler: (Sadly some c's are missing in the code)
Vincent(PDP)
Threat to system.

Re: [v2.0.0 - Nov 17th] Doom Writer! Write text in Doom-styl

Postby Nevander » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:02 pm

Holy crap this is exactly what I needed right now. I'm working on a megawad myself, and I was struggling with making new menu items. This will be a huge help. You won the Internet for today my good man. I'll play around with it later and let you know what I think.
Nevander
Banned User

Postby Vincent(PDP) » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:15 pm

Nevander wrote:Holy crap this is exactly what I needed right now. I'm working on a megawad myself, and I was struggling with making new menu items. This will be a huge help. You won the Internet for today my good man. I'll play around with it later and let you know what I think.

Sounds good! I hope it'll be to your satisfaction. :)
And don't be afraid to ask anything or giving suggestions!
Vincent(PDP)
Threat to system.

Postby Glaice » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:10 pm

This is definitely a step up from the older DoomWord program.
Glaice
Maps of Chaos/RDND/DVV Overseer

Discord: Glaice#8512

Return to Editing (Archive)