Z-Kart discussion

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.

Re: Z-Kart discussion

Postby edward850 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:49 am

Batandy wrote:Problem is that, does Zdoom even have a multiplayer userbase?

Is the question even relevant? Nobody complains about DoomRLA or DoomRPG being ZDoom only. Why start now?

Batandy wrote:Also, you should probably forget about software render imho, it's a waste on full scale TCs like this

Guess the software renderer is completely useless for Doom & Doom mods. It clearly wasn't designed for Doom in mind. Clearly.
Last edited by edward850 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
edward850
[netcode intensifies]

Postby GooberMan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:56 am

Perhaps you missed the point of making ZDoom feel like a real multiplayer option. Zandronum didn't have a user base at one point.
GooberMan
Best taken in small quantities

Postby Batandy » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:03 am

edward850 wrote:

Does it need one? Nobody complains about DoomRLA or DoomRPG being ZDoom only. Why start now?

Batandy wrote:Also, you should probably forget about software render imho, it's a waste on full scale TCs like this

Guess the software renderer is completely useless for Doom & Doom mods. It clearly wasn't designed for Doom in mind. Clearly.

I didn't say that it's useless, i just think that things like full color pngs and colored sectors look awful in software, and what about dynamic lights?

This is one of my maps with software...see what i mean?
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby edward850 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:22 am

GooberMan wrote:The viewpoint script is something I'd like to suggest to handle the third person camera. It's a special script that gets executed once per rendered frame and is responsible for setting the viewpoint parameters. SetViewX/Y/Z and SetViewPitch/Yaw/Roll at the very least would be functions it is responsible for. SetViewScript would be required from a mod before the script is executed. With just that kind of set up, I can do a ton more with cameras than the current solution (and even a hard coded third person camera) can. Although I'd really want a ray casting function to go with that so I can query the world accurately.

Hmm. At first I wasn't sure at first, but then if I'm already looking into predictive scripts, this might be controllable in some way. Probably with unique functions in a unique kind of script. Then again, what you need exactly? A camera that can be spawned at X,Y,Z,Pitch relative to a player/object (with/without collision detection)?
GooberMan wrote:
  • Support for multiplayer drop-in and drop-out

Planned for unrelated reasons, but I need to sort out an alternative to the pure P2P framework first. ;)
Batandy wrote:I didn't say that it's useless, i just think that things like full color pngs and colored sectors look awful in software, and what about dynamic lights?

OH_NO, if only people weren't required to use such things in their mods. If only. Or hell, if only PALVERS existed.
edward850
[netcode intensifies]

Postby Batandy » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:49 am

edward850 wrote:
Batandy wrote:I didn't say that it's useless, i just think that things like full color pngs and colored sectors look awful in software, and what about dynamic lights?

OH_NO, if only people weren't required to use such things in their mods. If only. Or hell, if only PALVERS existed.

Dude, can you stop with your sarcasm? It's seriously annoying me, i didn't attack anyone, and as i said in my original post, it was just an opinion
Palvers doesn't solve the problems with dynamic lights, fog and sector colors anyway. And good luck making replacement textures for purple walls and such
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby scalliano » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:58 am

While Zandro support would be great, the lack of functionality could cause problems, and it's clear there's already a lot to overcome. I'd say concentrate on ZDoom for now.

Also, regarding the software/GL debate, if the mod will be venturing outside the confines of one game, then GL mode may be needed for convenience's sake if nothing else. There's also the issue of things like advanced 3D floors and such, which mappers may want to utilise. However, none of this is a necessity, and if the mod can be kept software-friendly and the GL stuff left for modders to play with, I'd be happy. So, despite the fact that I use GZDoom pretty moch exclusively, I'd go software.
scalliano
Socially Distant

Postby edward850 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:08 am

Batandy wrote:Palvers doesn't solve the problems with dynamic lights,

All mods require dynamic lights? This is news to me.
Batandy wrote:fog and sector colors

I'm pretty sure you can solve that simply by testing your fog/sector colours in ZDoom. Doesn't seem to much of a stretch.
Batandy wrote:And good luck making replacement textures for purple walls and such

I'll let esselfortium know about this insurmountable limitation.
edward850
[netcode intensifies]

Postby idGamer » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:44 am

edward850 wrote:
Batandy wrote:Palvers doesn't solve the problems with dynamic lights,

All mods require dynamic lights? This is news to me.
Batandy wrote:fog and sector colors

I'm pretty sure you can solve that simply by testing your fog/sector colours in ZDoom. Doesn't seem to much of a stretch.
Batandy wrote:And good luck making replacement textures for purple walls and such

I'll let esselfortium know about this insurmountable limitation.

Could you please stop with the sarcasm? It's not helping anything here, and you're only going to stir up trouble.
Last edited by idGamer on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
idGamer
Gosh - are we having a ball, or what?

Postby everamzah » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:23 am

everamzah
gl_texture_filter 0

Postby scalliano » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:43 am

My friends, please be civil. We're on to a good thing here, let's not jeopardize it before it has a chance to thrive.

EDIT: Just so people know I'm not sitting back on my arse:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scalliano
Socially Distant

Postby NiGHTMARE » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:54 am

idGamer wrote:Could you please stop with the sarcasm? It's not helping anything here, and you're only going to stir up trouble.

Hello and welcome to the internet. Enjoying your first visit?

On-topic, sort of: Some of you guys might find this interesting.
NiGHTMARE
.now.

Postby idGamer » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:38 am

scalliano wrote:My friends, please be civil. We're on to a good thing here, let's not jeopardize it before it has a chance to thrive.

Sorry, I'll try not to start anything.

Also, my first attempt at an imp sprite:
ImpKart2.PNG

Shown at double the normal size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
idGamer
Gosh - are we having a ball, or what?

Postby Arch » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:06 pm

Hah these sprites are looking amazing. Now that Batandy mentioned open gl mode, I think this is the kind of mod that asks to be colorful, so I agree that Zandronum would be the best option.
Arch
Arrr!

Postby GooberMan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:33 pm

I only have one suggestion for the kart sprites: use Doomguy green for the kart bodies themselves. The reason should be fairly obvious I hope.

edward850 wrote:Hmm. At first I wasn't sure at first, but then if I'm already looking into predictive scripts, this might be controllable in some way. Probably with unique functions in a unique kind of script. Then again, what you need exactly? A camera that can be spawned at X,Y,Z,Pitch relative to a player/object (with/without collision detection)?

I'd want to bypass spawning things in the world together. Conceptually, the viewport constructs its viewpoint from the player thing, its position and orientation, and the view height. The view script could replicate exactly this functionality with those functions I mentioned. And then it could expand itself completely to handle third person cameras. Ideally I'd want new collision functions (such as a ray cast) so that I could query the world selectively (geometry, things, a combination of both, etc) and give me some way to retrieve the results of that ray. Everything else the viewpoint will need to do can be scripted. This kind of framework will let me implement a good kart camera. And someone else could implement a Gears of War style camera for their mod. Etc.
GooberMan
Best taken in small quantities

Postby mallo » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:13 pm

We already know where the characters can be from. But what's the roster? I don't think we should have every single enemy from Doom...
mallo

PreviousNext

Return to Editing (Archive)