Hi-res distinguishing between STEP1 and STEP1 (etc)

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Enjay

Hi-res distinguishing between STEP1 and STEP1 (etc)

Post by Enjay »

OK, so we all know that Doom has flats called STEP1 and STEP2 and there are also textures called STEP1 and STEP2. Most of the time this doesn't cause problems because ZDoom prioritises flats on floors and textures on walls. However, when trying to substitute these with hi-res versions in GZDoom, I've run into difficulty.

Using the old Doomsday-style hi-res textures folder seems to work. ie put all my pngs (texture and flat replacements) into a folder called "textures" and then into a sub-folder called "Doom" and prefix the names of any flat replacements with "FLAT-". Disappointingly, this method does not seem to support using sub folders called "textures" and "flats" which would be neater IMO but doing this means that the hr textures simply don't show up.

However, I'd rather not have a folder with a bunch of loose files sitting in it so I tried putting everything into a pk3 in a "hires" folder. To keep things separate, I put textures into a subfolder called "textures" and flats into "flats". Most of them worked except STEP1 and STEP2 which showed the texture replacement for floors as well as walls. I tried using the "FLAT-" naming convention of the other system but no joy (not too surprisingly). I've also noticed that at least one HR pack packaged for GZDoom shows this problem.

So, I guess the question really is, is there a way to set up a PK3 with a "hires" folder in it that replaces textures and flats with the same name but uses a different graphic in game for the texture and the flat?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Hi-res distinguishing between STEP1 and STEP1 (etc)

Post by NeuralStunner »

Enjay wrote:However, I'd rather not have a folder with a bunch of loose files sitting in it so I tried putting everything into a pk3 in a "hires" folder. To keep things separate, I put textures into a subfolder called "textures" and flats into "flats". Most of them worked except STEP1 and STEP2 which showed the texture replacement for floors as well as walls.
It seems like the HiRes directory should be further namespaced into Textures and Flats, but this may not be the case. (If it's not, I wonder what it would take for the loader to support this?)

You may have to put the conflicting replacements in the standard Textures/Flats directories, and scale them through [wiki=TEXTURES]Textures[/wiki].
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

NeuralStunner wrote:You may have to put the conflicting replacements in the standard Textures/Flats directories, and scale them through [wiki=TEXTURES]Textures[/wiki].
I suspect that may be the case. I was rather hoping that one of the simpler "drop the graphics in there and they'll work" systems would do it though.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

NeuralStunner wrote:(If it's not, I wonder what it would take for the loader to support this?)
Even more mess than it already is. The entire texture namespacing is only necessary due to these duplicate names. All would be a lot easier if there were just 'textures'...
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i'm sorry to be bumping this really old thread, but it's the exact issue i'm dealing with now, and it came up with a Google search.

is there a fix to this problem now? in the latest stable release of GZDoom, it seems that the Jdoom way of defining hi-res textures is gone, so i've had to repackage everything using the "hires" method. slowly trying to understand how it works, and i'm having the STEP1 flats not show up at all (it doesn't get replaced by the texture, it just doesn't show up whatsoever and displays the standard texture.)

i also seem to be getting some textures scale incorrectly, getting squashed in a way it's not supposed to, but it seems to work 99% okay with this method, just a few minor hiccups so far.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:is there a fix to this problem now?
There was a fix I made a while ago here. Not sure if it still works but I know I had this problem before and this was how I fixed it.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

that does indeed seem to have fixed that particular problem i had with hi-res textures, thanks!

Return to “Editing (Archive)”