Making Doom3 textures look less flat in Doom

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Indecom

Re: Making Doom3 textures look less flat in Doom

Post by Indecom »

I actually had an idea a while back, perhaps a sort of bump mapping could be added using the view as the lightsource. Of course thats just a hack idea. Anyways my real contribution to the thread is the way you apply normal map to the texture. It still looks a bit flat after you've done that. And that image that you'd assumed was a brightness reference is actually a gloss map, or how much the texture will shine (see reflecting direct light, not glowing). What i would do is actually use a 3d renderer, and use the normal map as it should, as a normal map on the texture, then you'd apply the gloss map to set the shine right in places, position a directional light at downward-at-an-angle slope, maybe even add a couple small point lights for places meant to be lit by lights built into the texture, then render out a new one based on this. It will give you a much more realistic result, and if you like i can come up with a sample or two if you guys wanna see the results.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

esselfortium wrote:In Photoshop, some of the layer blending modes like "Overlay" or "Soft Light" might work out better than just applying the normal map on top of it normally (no pun intended), as you won't get the color loss that you mentioned.
i did that.

here is the method

Here are the 4 textures
there are Texture, Normal Map, Bump Map, Specularity Map
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=34e3 ... 7278b7e2a6

ok, Got the main texture (well, you will need that)

Then i made the Normal Map Greyscale (no colour)

Then i pasted the greyscale normal map ontop of the texture
Then changed the Layer Blending to Overlay

Then i pasted the the Bump Map ontop, then changed the layer blending for that texture to hard light

Then i pasted the Specularity map ontop, then changed the layer blending to Color Dodge

And there is the non-flat skin or texture :D

Feel free to change the layer blending, to suit you'r looks.

Edit: Meh, Stupid upload limit
Linked Instead (mediafire)
Edit2:Stupid me, pasted the wrong link
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

I made 30 of those textures yesterday.

Here's the link: http://morpheus.hostrator.com/screens/g ... todoom.zip
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Ceeb wrote:
jute wrote:Maybe it could react to dynamic lights from torches, projectiles, etc.?
And your frame rate slams into the floor, reaching negative values.
The obvious answer would to get a better computer -- Because bumpmapping and dynamic lights doesn't seem to have that bad of a effect on my computer. :P
Mr. Tee

Post by Mr. Tee »

It might with an engine that wasn't designed to support this kind of rendering at all (at least, at the software level). I haven't toyed with GZDoom yet, but I doubt this kind of mapping will get implemented into ZDoom due to rendering limitations.

@Enjay: Nice demo. If you mess around wtih 3dsmax one day, you'll be able to see all of that in action, but then you'll wish it was all in ZDoom already...
Nash

Post by Nash »

esselfortium wrote:Probably at least in part due to the fact that sector lighting has no direction, it's just kind of....there. So there's no "correct" way to handle bumpmapping on surfaces for which you have no light direction.
If a Doom engine were to implement advanced lighting and shadows... I always imagine the way to handle sector lighting is to just assume that they are globally illuminated and the lighting is "ambient".

Or maybe the port author would predefine the ambient light source position and angle.

Of course, user-placed light objects and dynamic lights (projectiles, torches, etc) will affect the bumps and normals as well.

I wonder how EDuke32's Polymer solved the sector lighting problem.
janiform

Post by janiform »

I expect the Polymer guys would be willing to disclose their methods.
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

Here is my method:

1. PSP 8
2. Open up texture.
3. Emboss texture with tool.
4. Adjust contrast until the bumps are visible, clear and deep.
5. Blur if you want to smoother otherwise skip this step.
6. Re-open original texture and copy paste the bump map as a new layer.
7. Set new layer as Overlay at 100%.

Done!

As you can see in this unfinished texture for my project, the difference is not dramatic but definitely still better than before! Reminds me of something you'd see on AVP for the jaguar, which is the exact look I'm trying to replicate.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”